47 attempts to rip a DVD

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jtphil

47 attempts to rip a DVD

Post by jtphil »

This was an odd one, at least for me. It just took me 47 attempts in Handbrake Version 0.10.5 x86_64 (2016021100) to rip just one episode from the first DVD of the first season of The West Wing. I'm only interested in getting the episodes with commentary, so I don't care about the other episodes on that DVD but a quick test indicated I would have the same problems with them.

What happened is that the rips just stopped once Handbrake reached a certain point, although thankfully that point kept advancing so I kept making progress and did eventually get the full episode ripped. I don't think there is anything wrong with the DVD because MakeMKV sailed through the entire DVD with no problems whatsoever, but those good folks who know more about this stuff than I do might disagree. :lol:

So I did get a good MKV rip early on, but I was curious to see if Handbrake could get the job done.

This is on Version 0.10.5 x86_64 (2016021100) on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) running macOS Sierra 10.12.1. I used a Samsung portable Blu-ray model SE-506.

Handbrake gave no indication that anything was wrong, it was just ripping merrily along 10.20%, 10.40% and then Wham! 100%! Handbrake thought it had done the whole episode. Then the next time through it would get maybe 3% farther along.

I've uploaded a couple of the logs. http://pastebin.com/ijkMvQLS and http://pastebin.com/XzSWppz0

Happy to upload all 47 if you think you might get something useful from them.

--JT
mduell
Veteran User

Re: 47 attempts to rip a DVD

Post by mduell »

HB is not intended as a DVD ripper. Feed HB the files that MakeMKV produced.
jtphil

Post by jtphil »

Thanks for the reply, but I as I said, I was able to get Handbrake to rip the episode eventually. I posted this not in hopes of solving a problem, but to let others know of a curious happenstance.

--JT
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Code: Select all

libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
I'm surprised it got ANYWHERE with the disks.
jtphil

Post by jtphil »

Oh, I thought that was what Fairmount was for.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's not been updated in years, and frankly I'm surprised it works at all given VLC changed the way they integrate libdvdcss.
jtphil

Post by jtphil »

On a whim I tried the same DVDs in the Apple SuperDrive and they ripped without a problem. At first I thought it might be that the Samsung Blu-ray player was set to a different region, but no, both Apple and Samsung are region 1. Curiouser and curiouser.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

This is definitely an odd one! Just FYI for others that might stumble onto this thread: Install the latest version of Handbrake that is version 1.0.0 or above (it has a lot of fixes i it) then update your system to process DVDs and Blu-rays as follows:

[Removed by moderator]
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

@Ronin stop spamming the board with this bad information and stop reviving old threads.