.MTS files do not have audio after encoding and outputting as MP4 in Handbrake 0.10.5

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
KeithBohler
New User

.MTS files do not have audio after encoding and outputting as MP4 in Handbrake 0.10.5

Post by KeithBohler »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:
I use a Sony XDCAM PXW-X70 camera recording in AVCHD format, which outputs large .MTS files. This camera is used for just recording plays of football games, then transcoding and uploading all clips to a sports management platform. Transcoding these files allows me to half the size of the files while still retaining quality and getting them a format the upload utility works better with. Which makes my upload time and life a whole lot easier. The problem though, none of the transcoded videos have audio after they've been run through Handbrake.

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of OSX are you running. etc.
Version 0.10.5 on Mac OS X El Capitan, Macbook Pro 11,4 with 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, and Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:
No error, ran through about 144 clips with little to no problem.

Please include the scan or encode log:
Here is what I've determined to be all 144 video encode logs for all clips.
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/d4cc8 ... 0b3ab5da17
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: .MTS files do not have audio after encoding and outputting as MP4 in Handbrake 0.10.5

Post by s55 »

None of your sources appear to have audio in a format that HandBrake supports, so it won't be adding any audio tracks.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: .MTS files do not have audio after encoding and outputting as MP4 in Handbrake 0.10.5

Post by rollin_eng »

It looks like HB cant read the audio, you could see if you can record with a different audio codec or try a nightly build of HB.
DougInAmbler

Post by DougInAmbler »

I am having the same problem as Keith: .MTS file as source, converted to .MP4, has no audio.
Using HB 0.10.5.0 on Win 10, HP laptop with 8Gig RAM

I have spent many hours trying all the preset permutations, including AC3 as preferred audio codec (should be appropriate for AVCHD)

One reason I haven't given up is that I did succeed a few months ago, using an SD card output with .MTS file from a Canon videocorder (professional at ballroom dance).

However, with the current SD card from a Sony camera, the .MP4 output file never has audio.

The source file on SD card is:
F:\PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM\00000.MTS

The HB log appears to hint, like Keith's, that no audio is found
[13:23:11] Found the following PIDS
[13:23:11] Video PIDS :
[13:23:11] 0x1011 type H.264 (0x1b)
[13:23:11] Audio PIDS :
[13:23:11] Subtitle PIDS :
[13:23:11] 0x1200 type PGS Subtitle (0x90)
[13:23:11] Other PIDS :
[13:23:11] 0x1100 type Digicipher II Video (0x80)
[13:23:11] 0x1001 type Unknown (0xff) (PCR)

There is certainly audio in the .MTS file, which plays under Windows Media Player, but no other player including QuickTime.

The videographer says he has only recently heard of .MTS files that can't be played or have no audio when converted to .MP4

Has something changed, possibly in a Win 10 update? Is there a missing audio codec in my Win 10 system?
(Sorry if this is a Mac-thread, but problem looks identical in Win 10)
DougInAmbler

Post by DougInAmbler »

Here is one of my log files, where no audio was produced:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/muleprjep0wa9 ... M.txt?dl=0
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

And what happens if you encode with the currently-supported version, 1.07, or one of the nightly builds?

LPCM audio in both 16- and 24-bit versions work fine in normal circumstances. The log shows that it was encoded as AAC for the output file (you cannot pass through LPCM audio).
DougInAmbler

Post by DougInAmbler »

I updated to current version 1.0.7, got the same result, no audio in output .MP4
(unfortunately Help->Check for Updates had told me my 0.10.5 version was current)

As you mentioned, the previous log I posted showed LPCM audio track and referred to AAC encoder, to my surprise. Ten other encoding attempts simply showed "Audio PIDS" as blank in the log file. I do not know what LPCM is anyway, and I don't know how it got into that one encoding session. But at least it had found SOME presence of audio.

The current attempts in HB 1.0.7 also show "Audio PIDS" as blank in the log file. I tried setting default Audio Codec to AAC and AC3, no difference. Here is one log
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h66giqsrbgiw6 ... 7.txt?dl=0

I wouldn't expect a nightly build to do better, unless it referred to fixing my problem?
Thanks for quick response.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

LPCM is essentially uncompressed audio, in the same format as used on CDs. The difference between 16- and 24-bit is how much dynamic range can be encoded.

The nightly builds have a year's worth of bug fixes and enhancements in them, and are "soon to become" version 1.10 when it is released. There is a good chance that it will better luck with this weird source; If not, the developers are going to ask for a sample that has the issue, so they can run more analysis on it.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

1.1.0 :)
DougInAmbler

Post by DougInAmbler »

Woodstock, I get the same result with today's nightly build. Log available if needed, but the "Audio PIDS" line is again blank, corresponding to no audio in the .MP4 file output.

Shall I park the 1.2Gig .MTS file on DropBox?
Or are there various presets I could play with?
Thanks