Handbrake vs Mediafork

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
johncrane

Handbrake vs Mediafork

Post by johncrane »

I understand that MediaFork and Handbrake have merged and that Handbrake is the preferred program. I have the latest Handbrake and also Mediafork 0.8.0b1 which I believe was the last version released. When I rip a movie in my collection it is for my Apple TV so I am using H.264 encoding on both products. My question deals with the speed on Riping and Encoding. Mediafork is considerably faster and the output on my Apple TV is very acceptable. When I use Handbrake it is much slower. Like twice as long. The output is also very acceptable on my Apple TV. To my limited abilities the output of both looks the same. What am I losing when I use Mediafork over Handbrake? Is ther something I am missing that would be available if I used Handbrake all of the time?
Any information would be really appreciated since I am new at this.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Mediafork is just a old version of handbrake which is now no longer supported in any shape or form.

The latest version of handbrake will be faster when you use *exactly* the same settings.

The presets have changed since 0.8 aiming more for quality rather than speed. This will be why the encoding times differ.