OS X Leopard 10.5

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
s55
HandBrake Team

OS X Leopard 10.5

Post by s55 »

HandBrake works on Leopard!

This means that you do NOT need to ask this!

All threads relating asking this or equally repetitive questions will be locked.
Only threads posting leopard specific bugs/issues will be allowed!
hokie17

Post by hokie17 »

In Tiger, when in the chapter naming tab, if I finished typing my chapter name and hit return, the field would move to the next chapter. It no longer does so.

I have a macro set up in iKey to do this with chapter listings I've already typed in a Numbers spreadsheet.
gswhite

Re: OS X Leopard 10.5

Post by gswhite »

sr55 wrote:HandBrake works on Leopard!

This means that you do NOT need to ask this!

All threads relating asking this or equally repetitive questions will be locked.
Only threads posting leopard specific bugs/issues will be allowed!
Well that's not strictly true. I have the very latest build compiled from your SVN resource under Leopard, and it does not work.

I can run Handbrake, it can choose a source material, I can then set the encoding settings, but the minute I hit the Play (GO) button, it crashes.

I have now tried this on all my Leopard machines and it behaves in the same way.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, as it used to work fine with Tiger?

Is there any diagnostics I can supply that would assist in finding what or where the problem is?

thanks
G
philak

Post by philak »

Utilising the superb search feature might have pointed you to a thread such as this.

Strictly speaking the statement is perfectly true. HandBrake 0.9.1 will run fine on Leopard. If you want to play around with svn builds then try a little homework before trying to fan flames.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Couldn't have put that better myself. SVN compiles and runs fine under xcode 2.5
solidox

Handbrake and Leopard

Post by solidox »

Would seem that although the last 0.9.1 release work fine on Leopard those compiling from cutting edge source code experience crashes when attempting to encode with x264. I can confirm that MPEG4 encoding still works okay.

Seems to be a problem with x264 and Xcode3. A workaround is to install xcode 2.5 and compile handbrake with this. This issue and is discussed in the developer forum.

To avoid installing two versions of xcode you could install OSX tiger + xcode 2.5 to an external drive and use it to compile handbrake on a weekly basis.

My first post so be considerate.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake and Leopard

Post by dynaflash »

solidox wrote:My first post so be considerate.
Nice post.
nick_harambee

Post by nick_harambee »

solidox wrote:Would seem that although the last 0.9.1 release work fine on Leopard those compiling from cutting edge source code experience crashes when attempting to encode with x264. I can confirm that MPEG4 encoding still works okay.

Seems to be a problem with x264 and Xcode3. A workaround is to install xcode 2.5 and compile handbrake with this. This issue and is discussed in the developer forum.

To avoid installing two versions of xcode you could install OSX tiger + xcode 2.5 to an external drive and use it to compile handbrake on a weekly basis.

My first post so be considerate.
i am experiencing crashes using x264 encoding on leopard, typically in the muxing stage and when there is a queue. i have downloaded Xcode 2.5 - how do i compile handbrake with this?

thanks

nick
awk
Enlightened

Post by awk »

solidox wrote: To avoid installing two versions of xcode you could install OSX tiger + xcode 2.5 to an external drive and use it to compile handbrake on a weekly basis.
Xcode 3.0 and Xcode 2.5 can co-exist on the same Leopard installation disc - by default Xcode 3.0 will install into /Developer Xcode 2.5 will install into /Xcode2.5

Note that the actual app name is the same inside of both places - so you might want to rename (just do it in the Finder - works fine) the Xcode app in one (or both) folders to distinguish them.
philak

Post by philak »

nick_harambee wrote:i am experiencing crashes using x264 encoding on leopard, typically in the muxing stage and when there is a queue. i have downloaded Xcode 2.5 - how do i compile handbrake with this?
If you read the posts above and use search all the answers are waiting!
awk wrote:OK - so if you build with Xcode 2.5 on Leopard the binary is fine (on Leopard). You can do this with 'make' if you change the occurrences of 'xcodebuild' in the Makefile to $(XCODEBUILD) and then define XCODEBUILD in the Makefile.config to be /Xcode2.5/usr/bin/xcodebuild This will give you an Xcode 2.5 build environment including tools, SDKs etc.

Then do your make - and everything will be fine.
nick_harambee

Post by nick_harambee »

philak wrote:
nick_harambee wrote:i am experiencing crashes using x264 encoding on leopard, typically in the muxing stage and when there is a queue. i have downloaded Xcode 2.5 - how do i compile handbrake with this?
If you read the posts above and use search all the answers are waiting!
awk wrote:OK - so if you build with Xcode 2.5 on Leopard the binary is fine (on Leopard). You can do this with 'make' if you change the occurrences of 'xcodebuild' in the Makefile to $(XCODEBUILD) and then define XCODEBUILD in the Makefile.config to be /Xcode2.5/usr/bin/xcodebuild This will give you an Xcode 2.5 build environment including tools, SDKs etc.

Then do your make - and everything will be fine.
i am glad all the answers are waiting, and i have searched for them, just can't make much sense of it all with my limited knowledge. i have installed xcode 2.5, but don't know what/where the makefile is that i need to change, and don't know what doing a make means
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

if your running 0.9.1 then compiling the source probably won't fix your issue.

You have to compile the source yourself to cause the problem being discussed here.

Your best waiting for 0.9.2 public to be released. Compiling may well cause more problems for you that it will solve.
dbendixen
Enlightened

Post by dbendixen »

I know it 0.91 works with Leopard, but that seems to be only partially true based on many experiences. I for one am getting crashes now during the muxing stage whereas I never got crashes before using Tiger. And before you ask, I'm encoding the same files as before (re-encoding). In fact, I've re-done the ones that crashed, but not with a queue, and they don't crash.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Odd. 9.1 works fine with 10.5 for me, and I've ripped probably 50 or so discs in the last few weeks...
richerik

Crash on Mux with Queue

Post by richerik »

Hi all,

I can confirm that I am seeing the same behavior in 10.5 as nick_harambee and dbendixen. I load up the queue with TV shows from multiple DVD rips (from MTR) and go to bed. When I wake, handbrake has crashed. I watched this happen live once or twice and it is happening during muxing. When I encode the same file again sans queue all is well. I am using the AppleTV preset with 2-pass (turbo first) and deinterlace set to slow.

I have searched, looked at all of the posts in this thread and in threads that are liked from this topic. They all seem to point to an issue with crashing that is related to building the latest code with Xcode 3.0 in leopard. I am using the downloaded 0.9.1 build, nothing from the SVN. I only see crashes during muxing not right from the start like this thread indicates. I can't see to find any posts that confirms the issue that I, nick_harambee and dbendixen are having is a bug.

Can someone please let me know if this is being addressed in 0.9.2? I will happily sit back and wait for 0.9.2 to be released if that is the case.

Many thanks
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: Crash on Mux with Queue

Post by dynaflash »

richerik wrote: Can someone please let me know if this is being addressed in 0.9.2? I will happily sit back and wait for 0.9.2 to be released if that is the case.

Many thanks
Leopard and queue crashing is being addressed for 0.9.2 . One thing to note, unfortunately there is a bug in the queue for the macgui in which it is possible to get a crash. This is not dependent on Leopard, rather can happen even in tiger. The queue is being rewritten for the next release.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

The queue crashes have absolutely nothing to do with Leopard.

Someone decided it'd be a good idea to check in unstable code for a release, is what happened. It'll be rewritten for the next release, but for now the MacGui is trying to do silly things like access the core library's jobs list without verifying that the job it wants to look at still exists.
Feynman

Post by Feynman »

So I think the question on everyones mind is, when will we see 0.9.2? :)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Probably next year.
Feynman

Post by Feynman »

sr55 wrote:Probably next year.
I'm a bit lost since I am not a developer but does that mean, for now, there is no way to encode to AppleTV under Leopard without it crashint till 0.9.2.?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

no, 0.9.1 will encode to apple tv just fine on leopard. The problems only happen when you go and compile the SVN with XCode 3. Using xcode 2.5 resolves the x264 issue.
Mercury Glitch

Post by Mercury Glitch »

ok so this little blurb is being thrown around as the cure all for building the SVN in 2.5 on OS 10.5

'OK - so if you build with Xcode 2.5 on Leopard the binary is fine (on Leopard). You can do this with 'make' if you change the occurrences of 'xcodebuild' in the Makefile to $(XCODEBUILD) and then define XCODEBUILD in the Makefile.config to be /Xcode2.5/usr/bin/xcodebuild This will give you an Xcode 2.5 build environment including tools, SDKs etc."

I'm with it up until defining XCODEBUILD. How do I do that?

No I am not a developer, coder, etc etc. I just want to use the latest SVN. Right now when I cd to the svn checked out HB source and try to run make I get

"-bash: make: command not found"

which I presume is an issue with the whole xcode 2.5 on 10.5 deal and that the blurb above *should* fix this.

I've installed xcode, and svn, both are working (I checked out the hb svn soucecode from svn in terminal)

Keeping it simple would be nice. I've tried searching for this, and have found little aside from that passage, often quoted, but with no other information.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Mercury Glitch wrote:ok so this little blurb is being thrown around as the cure all for building the SVN in 2.5 on OS 10.5

'OK - so if you build with Xcode 2.5 on Leopard the binary is fine (on Leopard). You can do this with 'make' if you change the occurrences of 'xcodebuild' in the Makefile to $(XCODEBUILD) and then define XCODEBUILD in the Makefile.config to be /Xcode2.5/usr/bin/xcodebuild This will give you an Xcode 2.5 build environment including tools, SDKs etc."

I'm with it up until defining XCODEBUILD. How do I do that?

No I am not a developer, coder, etc etc. I just want to use the latest SVN. Right now when I cd to the svn checked out HB source and try to run make I get

"-bash: make: command not found"

which I presume is an issue with the whole xcode 2.5 on 10.5 deal and that the blurb above *should* fix this.

I've installed xcode, and svn, both are working (I checked out the hb svn soucecode from svn in terminal)

Keeping it simple would be nice. I've tried searching for this, and have found little aside from that passage, often quoted, but with no other information.
How much simpler can it be? awk posted every detail you need to modify the make file to use the XCode 2.5 environment. I think there is a certain level of assumed knowledge when you start dealing with compiling from source, but I don't think the devs could have made it much clearer...

If you want it be simpler, use the GUI SVN checkout tool they mention on the compiling FAQ page in the Wiki.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

As well if you are using software of any sort that you are compiling yourself, you should know better than to upgrade to a brand new OS before checking to make sure that the software in question has been proven to compile easily on that OS. Either that or be prepared to have to jump through some hoops until it gets sorted out.
dbendixen
Enlightened

Post by dbendixen »

Encoding still works great except for queuing. It's the strangest thing though, because I'm using the exact same systems (iMac and MBP) and I upgraded both to Leopard and now both of them are crashing during muxing with queued material. YES, I understand this "was possible" with Tiger, but I NEVER saw it with Tiger. So apparently in upgrading to Leopard, something else on my system changed...

Not a big deal, I just have to do movies one at a time now--also not a big deal since I'm doing 2-pass x264 encodes which take quite a while anyway.