Only first chapter

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
greta723

Only first chapter

Post by greta723 »

I have a dvd, made from old super 8 movies. It contains 32 chapters. When I try to handbrake it, I only get the first chapter. Do i have to run them, each separately, is there no way to get all chapters ripped at the same time?? Since it's a movie made of sper8 movies it contains no "master" file. The roll down menus for chosing chapters has no other options than one to one. Can anyone please help me??
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Only first chapter

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
greta723

Post by greta723 »

Well I suppose I can't get any help then. I can't figure out how to find a url from pastebin.
Last edited by greta723 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Post the log here if its not too big.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

greta723 wrote:url from tastebin.
Mmm, tastebin.
greta723

Post by greta723 »

Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

It appears that your source was ripped as individual MKV files for each chapter, rather than one MKV file with a chapters track. With a custom-made DVD, it is quite possible it was recorded as one file per reel, and there is a menu on the DVD to play them all.

If this is the case, you would need to take the individual titleNN.mkv files and merge them into one, then process that.

That still won't construct a chapter track, though...
greta723

Post by greta723 »

That's because I've read somewhere that making a MKV could solve my problem. This is the log when I used the dvd as source.

http://pastebin.com/embed_js/WfDaqw0L
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Generally speaking, ripping to MKV first does work out best.

However, in this case, it appears that the video isn't "one file with chapters", but "32 files with a play-all menu".

If you get a copy of the mkvtoolnix utilities for your operating system (search for "mkvtoolnix" in your favorite search engine), there is a tool in there (mkvmerge) to combine multiple individual MKV files into one file, which handbrake can then process. You would be "appending" the files together. There is a graphic user interface available for it, but I don't remember its name.

But the resulting file will not have chapters in it, because your source doesn't have chapters.
greta723

Post by greta723 »

Thank you so much for the help. i've tried to merge the mkv-siles and then I got the message "mkvmerge finished with a return code of 1. There were warnings". Is that a problem or not? This is the log file from mkvmerge http://pastebin.com/embed_js/xGUJbMLC
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Did you use "merge" or "append" when doing this? You want to append the files together. The errors shown look like you weren't using the append option. Most of the errors were about the tracks having the same number as a previously-loaded file.
greta723

Post by greta723 »

I suppose I have to forget all about this. I have no idea how to append files. I have tried but it doesn't work. Since all sites that describes how to do is in very complicated english I don't understand what to do. Thank you for trying to help such an idiot as I am.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If you are using the graphic interface for mkvmerge, there's an "Append" button that you can click and add each subsequent file.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I didn’t have anything to do decent image editing in Windows, but the Append button is (or was) in the upper right corner of the mkvmerge GUI.

SC

ps - I guess since Image Shack deleted one of my images, I’ll see about making better ones.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18721
greta723

Post by greta723 »

When I have used MKV on my files, I get a list of 32 MKV-files, I can't choose a folder as it seems as you have done in the picture. Is that what causes all my troubles?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

How do you mean to choose a folder?

SC
greta723

Post by greta723 »

i would show you how it looks on my computer if I had any idea how to post a picture.... :shock:
greta723

Post by greta723 »

All the 32 MKV-files appear in the field for input files. In you picture it seems to be only one.