H265 playback on iOS after Handbrake conversion

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ihandbrake

H265 playback on iOS after Handbrake conversion

Post by ihandbrake »

Hi,

my issue is the proper playback of H265 HEVC handbrake converted files on iOS. I'm not sure whether it's due to the iPod's hardware, the iOS apps I'm running these files on or to Handbrake's conversion settings.

Here's the detail :

I'm using my iPod touch 6gen iOS 9.2 for video (and audio-) recording of academic lectures, using the built-in hard- and software, recording at 1080p HD at 30 fps, which is one of the defaults.
A 40 min. lecture is yielding a whopping 5,14 Go H264 file... That's way too huge for me.
The only way I managed to reduce it, is by converting it to a H265 HEVC format using Handbrake, which reduces it to about a 500 megabytes, which is fine.
These are the settings I used :
output: format MP4 File
Video Codec: H.265
FPS: Same as source / Variable Framerate
Quality: constant Quality RF 20
Encoder options: Preset medium / Tune: none / Profile: auto / Level: auto

Now, when I'm trying to playback the file both with the iOS VLC app and the H.265 (from structure AG) app, I'm getting choppy playback.
Could this be due to bad presets in Handbrake and if so, what would be the proper ones?

Thanks for any help :(
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: H265 playback on iOS after Handbrake conversion

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

VLC can't use the hardware decoder on the iPod, so it's all on the cpu, and the cpu is too slow.
But you can have the same bitrate reduction with H.264, just try, and if it's too big you can always reduce the resolution or use a bigger RF.
kpflugshaupt
Novice

Post by kpflugshaupt »

Ritsuka wrote:VLC can't use the hardware decoder on the iPod, so it's all on the cpu, and the cpu is too slow.
But you can have the same bitrate reduction with H.264, just try, and if it's too big you can always reduce the resolution or use a bigger RF.
To add two more data points here:
My iPhone 6 does play back H265 more or less stutter-free (using the Infuse App), my iPad Air2 more so. Both will stutter occasionally. Shutting off background activity for other apps seems to help a bit.

According to the Infuse devs, H265 decoding cannot be hardware accelerated currently, thus everything comes down to CPU speed.
Encoding in lower resolution/quality, like suggested by Ritsuka, will certainly help.