Handbreak no longer encoding Blu-rays

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jdnmcmeekin

Handbreak no longer encoding Blu-rays

Post by jdnmcmeekin »

Hi there,

Until recently, Handbreak was able to encode Blu-ray discs perfectly without need for MakeMKV.

However, now I just get the error message "Valid source not found".

Likewise, VLC is now no longer able to play Blu Rays directly as it used to - including discs which used to work fine.

Does anyone have any idea why?

Any help greatly appreciated!
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Handbreak no longer encoding Blu-rays

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Unless something has changed radically recently, VLC has not had the ability to decrypt Bluray on its own, requiring a third-party add-on to do so. And that add-on was probably what was making it work for handbrake.

Whatever you were using for decryption has stopped working. Your logs will show that, and hopefully you also have some logs from back when it last worked, so that we can possibly see what it was.

MakeMKV has instructions on how to use a supplied DLL to enable BD playback for VLC and other applications, but it isn't the only one out there.
Knight Rider

Post by Knight Rider »

I had the same issue.

Update MakeMKV and make sure to update the registration key (or purchase MakeMKV).
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
extract

Post by extract »

There is certainly a problem with HandBrake-20160118162854-41e238c-master-osx not encoding Blu-Rays. Version 0.10.3 x86_64 (2016012200) will encode without problems. I am using an updated version of MakeMKV 1.9.9 have added a 'lib' folder to the home folder and made and made the following symbolic links in the terminal:
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV/Contents/Lib/libmmbd.dylib ~/lib/libbdplus.dylib
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV/Contents/Lib/libmmbd.dylib ~/lib/libaacs.dylib
Works like a charm with Handbrake 0.10.3, but 20160118162854-41e238c-master-osx cannot find a valid source.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Without logs, my best guess it libmmbd may not have been updated to properly emulate newer versions of libbdplus and libaacs, which the newer version of libbluray most likely requires.