HandBrake not encoding properly after 10.11 update.

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jzw95

Re: HandBrake not encoding properly after 10.11 update.

Post by jzw95 »

Great, glad that helped! Didn't meant to be too negative, I appreciate your writing up the issue and instructions. :-)
semblant

Post by semblant »

The solution provided by jzw95 was simple and worked great. I did find that the text entered in Go To Folder did not take me where I wanted to go, so I got to /usr and then navigated to /lib.
supadm

Post by supadm »

I'm one of those "where is the any key" guys:s

When I try to find the folder it says "folder doesn't exist" (in danish) Do I have to change anything in the search when running a danish operating system?

Also please tell me where to find "System Integrity Protection" and is that why I get the message that the file couldn't open due to security issues?

Please help:)
jzw95

Post by jzw95 »

Try using the 'Go to Folder' in the Finder's 'Go' menu (or the equivalent in Danish), the command's position is as shown:

Then simply type in

Code: Select all

/usr
If that doesn't work, you have bigger problems! But if it does, you should see a folder list, and 'local' should be one of the folders. Open 'local' and you will have another folder list. The folder 'lib' should be there; if not, create it using the Finder's 'New Folder' command. Open 'lib' and this is where you put the 'libdvdcss.2.dylib' file.
supadm

Post by supadm »

Thanks found it, but when trying to move the file in theres a circle with a line in indicating that I cannot move the file into the folder?
jzw95

Post by jzw95 »

You will have to be a user with Admin privileges (in the 'Users & Groups' System Preferences) and should then be prompted for your password when you drop the file on the folder.
supadm

Post by supadm »

Nope, wont work:( I'm Admin and even tried to unlock to make changes but cannot drop the file to the folder:(
SWR

Post by SWR »

rollin_eng wrote:
SWR wrote:Hi rollin_eng, what are the words to look out for in the logs that can trigger queue issue?

I will look for those words and post those sections. I'm not comfortable posting my full logs online.

I don't think I have encoding issue. I have queue crashing issue.

Thanks.
Without your log we don't even know what version you are running. You should probably start your own thread and redact any paths/names from the log.
I'm using the latest stable version of HandBrake and I also tried with the latest nightly build. Same queue crash issue. If I do a 2-pass, it will crash after the 1st pass is completed.

Someone mention I have permission problem. So i went looking into the logs at the time of the crash and here's what I found.

Code: Select all

see my other thread
It's really driving me nuts. My only regret upgrading to El Capitan is this HandBrake issue. I don't have any other El Capitan issues.
Last edited by SWR on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jzw95

Post by jzw95 »

supadm wrote:Nope, wont work:( I'm Admin and even tried to unlock to make changes but cannot drop the file to the folder:(
Make sure you are in '/usr/local/lib'. If you are in just '/usr/lib' then it definitely will not work. Only folders under the 'local' folder can be modified/copied to (and then, only by entering an admin password).
supadm

Post by supadm »

Works:) thanks. Hope the rest works as good as promised:)

cheers
supadm

Post by supadm »

Nope. Just crashed again. Scan's complete, but when it comes to encoding it crashes after a few minutes.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

@supadm Perhaps you should start a separate thread and post your encode log.
supadm

Post by supadm »

@bradleys. did that already, but was directed to this tread.

originally: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

@supadm You were directed here because your issue seemed related. You appear to have taken other users' advice in this thread, which is your option, but it seems that didn't work. You should probably take the HandBrake Team's advice: only feed HandBrake non-protected content. HandBrake does not work with protected content.

Edit: The following is intended for everybody.

We don't recommend libdvdcss, the least of reasons being it doesn't work in many scenarios. We typically do not diagnose problems with protected content; we tell people to feed HandBrake clean content and all will be well. When people fail to take our advice, it causes endless support requests with logic loops like:

User: Why is this specific DVD not working?
HB: Because you're using libdvdcss and it doesn't work on a lot of stuff. HandBrake only works with non-protected sources.
User: But everything else works with libdvdcss!
HB: Well, apparently not this source. That's typical of libdvdcss; it works on some sources and not others.
User: Why can't you just fix it? Or tell me how to fix it?
HB: We can't fix what we don't control, and we already told you to feed HandBrake non-protected sources.
User: But libdvdcss works fine!
HB: It apparently does not work as well as you think.
User: I like it for most things, and I want to use it.
HB: We gathered that. We can't and won't improve libdvdcss. If you're not willing to do anything differently, everything will stay the same.

After which the user either continues asking us support with their unsupported configuration and we lock the thread, or eventually they feed HandBrake an unprotected source and everything works fine. :lol:

One user recently changed their workflow to remove libdvdcss and thanked us for suggesting it. By using another tool more suited for ripping and then feeding HandBrake a source without errors, they claim to be flying through 480+ DVDs much faster than before.

In the end, we have no control over what software anyone chooses to use or not use. The point is: we really do have good reasons for not recommending libdvdcss.
Last edited by BradleyS on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit.
edde332

Post by edde332 »

I followed jzw95's advise as well and it works like normal nowl! Thanks!!
stevrsk13

Post by stevrsk13 »

Thanks to jzw95. Your solution works and I've had no problems with the queue.
bwpirate

Post by bwpirate »

One thing I discovered was that if your trying to save the encoding to an external hd, it will not work. I first have to save the encoding to a folder on the computer then transfer it to the external hard drive.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

@bwpirate Please start a new thread with an encode log so we can look into it.
Cq6TN

Post by Cq6TN »

This has worked for me as well. Also, thanks for your advice jzw95.

Separately, I had to create /Lib to perfect /usr/local/lib using terminal and sudu command:
Open the Terminal in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and run:
sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib
Cq6TN

Post by Cq6TN »

All, please note that BradleyS (moderator) is emphasizing use of supported tools (such as MakeMKV, possibly others). I appreciate your guidance on this and Handbrake's presence in the community.

I plan to research MakeMKV and integrate it in to my workflow. At the moment, MakeMKV documentation says is auto expires after 60-days and needs to be renewed accordingly.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Only the free trial key expires after 60 days and has to be renewed.
arcsine

Post by arcsine »

Thanks jzw95. Your instructions were the key to getting the Handbrake/libdvdcss combo back to pre-10.11 working status.

Cq6TN I also had to create the lib folder after navigating to /usr/local . Folk can also use the 'create new folder' menu in that window and it will prompt for admin name & password.

I really appreciate the Handbrake community and it's moderators. Thanks folks.
jzw95

Post by jzw95 »

Sorry if I've propagated problems for the developers. Before this issue, I wasn't aware that libdvdcss was not recommended to use with Handbrake. I'll certainly check out MakeMKV myself. However, libdvdcss is very convenient when it works. Though I will be sure to never ask for support if using it – I can completely understand why trying to help someone out who is using known buggy libraries is not a good idea!
doobs22

Post by doobs22 »

thank very, very much jzw95. Thanks to your advice my handbrake is working again on El Capitan
mattb112

Post by mattb112 »

I have a macbook air and it says the lib folder cannot be found, can anyone help please?