How to make non-anamorphic >720x*** rips?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
MacinJosh

How to make non-anamorphic >720x*** rips?

Post by MacinJosh »

I want to rip an anamorphic DVD using maximum amount pixels possible without the end result being anamorphic and without scaling the vertical pixels. In other words, I'd like the stretching to be done in the encoding phase with the end result being:

1024x576 (for PAL)
852x480 (for NTSC)

I can't get past 720x*** in HB. Is there a way to do it and if not, why not?

Joshua.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: How to make non-anamorphic >720x*** rips?

Post by jbrjake »

MacinJosh wrote:I can't get past 720x*** in HB. Is there a way to do it and if not, why not?
Because HandBrake is a compression tool and titer thought it was crazy to allow people to make output rez larger than input rez. You can do it with the CLI.
MacinJosh

Post by MacinJosh »

jbrjake wrote:
MacinJosh wrote:I can't get past 720x*** in HB. Is there a way to do it and if not, why not?
Because HandBrake is a compression tool and titer thought it was crazy to allow people to make output rez larger than input rez. You can do it with the CLI.
Ok, I can sorta understand that. However, essentially I'm trying to preserve the original resolution and indeed not going larger. Even though the horizontal resolution is larger than the original that's due to, as you know, the nature of anamorphic DVDs needing to be stretched for proper aspect ratio.

The reason I wanted to preserve the best, and original resolution of the DVD was to have a best possible quality with a reasonable file size with the H.264 codec and eliminate as much scaling as possible for viewing on a Full-HD panel.

What I'm concerned about is that how well established is this anamorphic PAR method that Handbrake uses? I understand that it would be the ultimate way to preserve the DVD's original resolution as you can do a pixel-perfect DVD rip with it. My only concern is compatibility. A quick test told me that QT, iTunes and Leopard Front Row show the resulted conversion in the correct aspect ratio which is what I need. Are there compatibility issues with other apps?

EDIT: I just read the documentation on PAR. Looks very good. I think I'll use that instead.

Joshua.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

MacinJosh wrote:What I'm concerned about is that how well established is this anamorphic PAR method that Handbrake uses? I understand that it would be the ultimate way to preserve the DVD's original resolution as you can do a pixel-perfect DVD rip with it. My only concern is compatibility.
No problem with any apps that are worth using.
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

dynaflash wrote:No problem with any apps that are worth using.
Including the iPod and even Apple TV, QuickTime for anamorphic content that wasn't encoded with HandBrake?

But even so, I can relate.

MacinJosh, I too had a similar concern about anamorphic and compatibility and archiving like you do.

Do I encode in anamorphic and retain as much of the orginal quality and feel, or do I just use square pixels and play it safe that all playback devices have a minimum acceptance of PAR=1:1?

But for your information, this PAR flag is well within the standard of the MP4 container. Apps/devices that don't support anything outside of PAR=1:1 are either purposely reduced to handle less complexity, weak, or there's an ignorance of the standard - in which all cases will not be a problem over time as tech improves and awareness of specs increases.

At least we won't have the case of AVI which only handles square pixels. Even when ODML AVI was engineered to handle PARs outside of 1:1, playback apps still assumed square pixels and still ignored the PAR flag it had.

This will not happen for H.264/MP4.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

PuzZLeR wrote:
dynaflash wrote:No problem with any apps that are worth using.
Including the iPod and even Apple TV, QuickTime for anamorphic content that wasn't encoded with HandBrake?

But even so, I can relate.
Well, true in terms of the iPod. I was more answering in terms of players on computers. I should have been more specific. Good point re: the iPod. ATV has no problem with PAR.