Different decomb/deinterlace options?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jnyberg

Different decomb/deinterlace options?

Post by jnyberg »

Hi,

I recently converted an interlaced DVD using the High Profile preset. Using the default Decomb option, the resulting file was deinterlaceds, yes, but it was very choppy, skipping ahead each second or so. I saw there are other deinterlace/decomb options available. Can anyone explain to me the differences and does someone have better experiences using another option than the default one? Thanks.
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Re: Different demob/deinterlace options?

Post by moneymatt4life »

did you try to detelecine it instead? if it's telecined, that will give better results (usually) than decomb/deinterlace... detelecine and decomb can be used together ;)

bob outputs one frame per field, so it doubles the framerate... nice for fully interlaced and high motion content...

the other deinterlacing methods aren't going to be of much help to you if decomb has the issue... as decomb uses blend or slower selectively(i think?) or bob if you select that option...
jnyberg

Re: Different decomb/deinterlace options?

Post by jnyberg »

Nope, didn't try that, but I'll give it a go. Is there a similar auto detection option for the detelecine filter as decomb is for the deinterlace filter? Or can I leave detelecine on all the time and it can itself figure out if the content is telecined or not?
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life »

i think i remember someone saying that's it's usually safe to enable all the time for interlaced source :? could be remembering wrong though... either way, if it can't find any fields for frame reconstruction(or whatever the technical term for it is), it shouldn't do anything(?)
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

I wouldn't enable detelecine for PAL sources myself, but YMMV.
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life »

i keep forgetting about PAL :oops: everything i deal with is NTSC (JP with a sprinkle of US)... but yeah, PAL / 25fps telecined to 29.97fps can be problematic
jnyberg

Post by jnyberg »

Thanks. Actually the source dvd is PAL. But I'll try to encode it without any filters on and try the deinterlacer in Plex Home Theater since that's what I view my files on. Any comments/experience on the deinterlacer in PHT? Thanks all
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life »

what deinterlace modes does PHT have?

... and did you try bob?
jnyberg

Post by jnyberg »

It's got:

Auto
Software blend
De-interlace (half)
Bob
Bob (inverted)
Weave
Weave (inverted)
Blend
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

jnyberg wrote:Thanks. Actually the source dvd is PAL. But I'll try to encode it without any filters on and try the deinterlacer in Plex Home Theater since that's what I view my files on. Any comments/experience on the deinterlacer in PHT? Thanks all
You'll need to force interlaced encoding in HB to give that any chance at working.
jnyberg

Post by jnyberg »

How do I force interlace when encoding?
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life »

put

Code: Select all

interlace=1
in the extra options box (or tff=1 or bff=1 depending source... PAL is usually bff i think?)

and i think you need crop to be 0,0,0,0 with strict anamorphic(?) :?

not sure how any of PHT deinterlace methods will fare against handbrake's though...
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

moneymatt4life wrote:put

Code: Select all

interlace=1
in the extra options box (or tff=1 or bff=1 depending source... PAL is usually bff i think?)

and i think you need crop to be 0,0,0,0 with strict anamorphic(?) :?
Strict anamorphic is a must, since we don't do interlaced scaling. I don't think crop will be an issue. There is no PAL == bff rule, it depends on the source… DV is usually bottom field first, DVD usually top field first. Not sure about the rest. Rule #1: know your source :P