I live in the US and the Blake7 box set only is PAL

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rollerex

I live in the US and the Blake7 box set only is PAL

Post by rollerex »

Before I spend $325.00 on the Region 2 PAL box set, I would like to get an idea of what *might* happen if I encoded this set using Handbrake?
I don't want to convert from PAL to NTSC.
I am curious how Quicktime, the iPhone and iPod would deal with region 2
material.

Will it even play on the iPod or Phone?

Thanks in advance.
I am lovin' Handbrake and really enjoying having a media library on a hard drive. So much more flexible and convenient that dealing with DVD discs.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Well, quite a few people (including me) live on this side of the atlantic and some even have iPods - guess what they transfer their DVDs on their iPod just like you do. Sorry if this comes of like I'm a jackass but sometimes I wonder if people consider europe to be third world...
eddyg
Veteran User

Re: I live in the US and the Blake7 box set only is PAL

Post by eddyg »

rollerex wrote:Before I spend $325.00 on the Region 2 PAL box set, I would like to get an idea of what *might* happen if I encoded this set using Handbrake?
I don't want to convert from PAL to NTSC.
I am curious how Quicktime, the iPhone and iPod would deal with region 2
material.

Will it even play on the iPod or Phone?

Thanks in advance.
I am lovin' Handbrake and really enjoying having a media library on a hard drive. So much more flexible and convenient that dealing with DVD discs.
The difference between PAL and NTSC (as far as HB is concerned) is that the frame rate is different, which HB autodetects, and that the size of the frame is different, also autodetected.

So HB will process the PAL DVDs as normal, except that the resultant files will be at a slightly higher resolution than if you had used NTSC - except that you will be scaling them to fit the iPod. So you will see no difference apart from frame rate (29.97 vs 25), which the iPod handles fine.

Cheers, Ed.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Your biggest (maybe only) problem you may have, is the ability to "rip" a different region.
rollerex

PAL-NTSC

Post by rollerex »

realityking wrote:Well, quite a few people (including me) live on this side of the atlantic and some even have iPods - guess what they transfer their DVDs on their iPod just like you do. Sorry if this comes of like I'm a jackass but sometimes I wonder if people consider europe to be third world...
Please don't take my post wrong.

I just don't know a lot about video standards.

DVD player hardware is different in different in different countries. So are TV sets. Before I went out and got a pricey DVD box set, I thought I would check to see what technical problems I might encounter from the very knowledgeable people on this forum.
rollerex

PAL-NTSC

Post by rollerex »

Cavalicious wrote:Your biggest (maybe only) problem you may have, is the ability to "rip" a different region.
Wouldn't MTR take care of that?
voxsola

Post by voxsola »

I've done it with MTR.
Cavalicious

Re: PAL-NTSC

Post by Cavalicious »

rollerex wrote:
Cavalicious wrote:Your biggest (maybe only) problem you may have, is the ability to "rip" a different region.
Wouldn't MTR take care of that?
You have to be able to read the DVD before you can remove RCE. Some have had issues reading different regions without changing the settings on the drives first. You call only do this 5 times before it locks down.