Won't rip DVD

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
zamboknee

Won't rip DVD

Post by zamboknee »

I've found the right title on the DVD and went through the steps to rip a DVD but when I start, the disc spins, 'encode' starts and within seconds Handbrake pops up with a window that says '....you're finished!'
But it only cooked a file that's a few kb big.
Any idea what's going on?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Won't rip DVD

Post by mduell »

Nope, crystal ball is broken this week.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
That's the link from the top of the page with the bold underlined red text on a pink background. It's a useful tip!
zamboknee

Post by zamboknee »

http://pastebin.com/5u3GKJ6M

(sorry for long log posting. Put up Pastebin link)
Last edited by zamboknee on Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zamboknee

Post by zamboknee »

FYI, I'm able to rip with Aimersoft Total Media Converter but I trust Handbrake so would like to get it figured out on Handbrake.
zamboknee

Post by zamboknee »

Here's the Activity log on this session only: http://pastebin.com/4YLfUMMX
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

When HandBrake fails to rip a disc properly, we usually recommend MakeMKV or AnyDVD to work around it, using HandBrake for transcoding only.
zamboknee

Post by zamboknee »

What would the Mac versions of these be?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

MakeMKV.

Do not use RipIt.
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

I just joined this forum and downloaded HandBrake so I can rip my collection of 300+ DVD's onto a Mac Mini, doesn't HandBrake do this or I see these other suggestions MakeMKV or AnyDVD, etc? I'm not a video expert in converting or merging multiple files, chapters or whatever. I'm looking for an open-source, simple and easy way to just pop a DVD into the SuperDrive and rip it in HD and the correct aspect ratios to a hard drive. I'm hoping it can be this simple, any advice?
zamboknee

Post by zamboknee »

I've always just used Handbrake and the 'normal' setting. As you can see from my original post that doesn't always work out. But as far as my experience, Handbrake has worked 99% of the time.
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

I'm trying to do a test run now for the first time, only ripping 1 chapter to see how the quality of the playback comes, but when I play it back, the audio skips and there are big blocks on my screen you can't see the film, am I doing something wrong? I didn't change any settings, just the default ones that came with the download.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

HB doesn't want to be a DVD ripper and is a lousy one. Rip with a tool that specializes in disk ripping, like MakeMKV.

If you need to transcode the file, for size or compatibility reasons, then feed that file to HB.
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

then what is HandBrake?...I thought it was a DVD Ripper no? I think MakeMKV is only for Windows?, I'm on a Mac, I just tested MacX DVD Ripper and it produced some bad results with very visible horizontal lines throughout the whole picture. I'm trying iSkySoft DVD Ripper now, but the interface is terrible and I can't figure it out? :/ Mac DVD Ripper is another one which I tested today (all of these on free trials) but this one gave me the best results so far, but not many options with it unfortunately.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake is a video encoder. MakeMKV is a cross-platform DVD and BD ripper, and it works on Windows, OS X, and Linux. There are others out there.

You can add 3rd-party libraries to allow Handbrake to ripe SOME DVDs, but it doesn't deal with all of the variations out there... and isn't intended to.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/IsIsnt explains what Handbrake intends to be, and what it doesn't intend to be.
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

I'm getting terrible results with MakeMKV at the moment, testing it now. The video skips over content and it is mostly black with zero sound, plus I get unwanted subtitles? something got to be wrong with this thing :/
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

If your player doesn't support the streams from the disk in a MKV container, you'll need to transcode from the MKV file with HB as I mentioned.

MakeMKV gives you full control over subs included in the file, then your player lets you choose what's displayed.