Adding .SSA subtitles to mkv/ mp4 videos?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jcrex12

Adding .SSA subtitles to mkv/ mp4 videos?

Post by jcrex12 »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how/why am I not able to add .SSA subtitles to any video file, it only gives me the option to "add external .SRT". I am using a macbook pro, is the interface different on a mac vs pc? I even tried download older version of Handbrake but no luck. I've seen videos and pictures of handbrake and I can see how they have the option to add .SSA but its not the same on mine. Ive read all sorts of forums but i haven't seen any solutions.

Please help!!
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Adding .SSA subtitles to mkv/ mp4 videos?

Post by mduell »

Why? HB has not been programmed to support that.

Solution mentioned repeatedly? Mux the SSA in to your source with mkvmerge before HandBraking.
jcrex12

Post by jcrex12 »

It says on the HB user guide that it allows SSA subtitles. And I've seen videos of people being able to add SSA files in HB but i thinkinkg/wondering if that was only on the PC. Ive already Muxed the SSA file into the mkv. I just tried again converting the muxed SSA file in HB but if i don't add the SSA file again in the HB Subtitles tab, then the finished converted file won't have the subtitles.

This whole process of adding subtitles...
1. open srt file in jubler and convert SRT to SSA
2. use mkvmerge to mux mkv vide and SSA files together
3. open muxed mkv and SSA file in HB and add SSA file again
4. convert to mp4
...worked on Brorsoft but there was a watermark on the converted file since it was a unregistered version because it cost $45. I was so close to completing this in HB process if only HB allowed me to add SSA files.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Going to need to see a log for your attempted encode with the MKV source with muxed subs. To the best of my knowledge, HandBrake has never supported any external subtitle format besides SRT.
jcrex12

Post by jcrex12 »

I actually just figured it out, such a relief! Thank you for your time though
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Thanks for sharing the problem/solution for anyone in the future who finds this thread.

Oh, wait, no.