iMovie and HandBrake ...

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rlesperance

iMovie and HandBrake ...

Post by rlesperance »

Hi,

From a DV source, I created an output for Apple TV 3 using in one case, iMovie 10.0.6, and in the other, HandBrake 0.10.0 x86_64. I used the AppleTV 3 settings offered in both software with no personnal changes. The output file size is much bigger for iMovie (11GB vs 5GB).

On my 52" plasma TV, iMovie uses all the screen space available,while HB have to large black band each side. How can I have HB use all my TV screen space available ?

Thanks in advance.

Robert Lespérance
rlesperance

Re: iMovie and HandBrake ...

Post by rlesperance »

What part of the activity log to you want to include ? I don't understand this part of the requirement.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

How about the WHOLE log, so nothing is missed?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The whole thing. The entire thing. Beginning to end. Spare no bits on the internet.
rlesperance

Post by rlesperance »

In fact there is no log in the Activity Monitor utility. In OS X, the only logs are in the Console utility ... and there is no log for the HandBrake application there.

Is it possible to explain what precise log you are expecting and also tell me where I can find it ?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Jesus! Read an follow instructions. Logs are *all* saved to your hdd. The instructions at the top of every support forum page tell you where to find them.
rlesperance

Post by rlesperance »

Here is more information ...

In the bottom of the main window, HandBrake indicates that the source is 720 x 480 and that the output will be 704 x 472. That seems to be what I am getting. What I don't understand, is why iMovie, with the same AppleTV 3 setting, is outputting to 1280 x 720 and fills entirely my TV screen.

To give me 1280 x 720, iMovie crops the output and reduces what I actually see. Is there an option to do that in HB ?
rlesperance

Post by rlesperance »

John ... I know it's Christmas, but my name is Robert :D :D :D :D :D :D :D. For the activity log, I now got it. Excuse the misunderstanding. See it by clicking on this kink:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nruzsgv17oq1e ... 9.pdf?dl=0
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

For future reference, please just post the log. Having to download it, and then find it's a PDF file makes me not want to look any farther into this.

SC
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Smithcraft wrote:For future reference, please just post the log. Having to download it, and then find it's a PDF file makes me not want to look any farther into this.

SC
He's using Dropbox as a pastebin, the link should not auto-download and be displayed in the browser. Whatever the log is converted to, however (PDF or not), it should be done so with a fixed-width font please. It's simpler to not bother converting and leave it as plain text.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Yes, I noticed that he was using Dropbox as a pastebin. It was not displaying in the browser, but came up as a file to download. Then it was a PDF that was numerous pages.

It seems to me, that it would be easier to just post a text document rather than a PDF.

Of course, that might just be me.

SC
rlesperance

Post by rlesperance »

Why bother so much with the container ?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Why not make it easy for us to help you?

SC
rlesperance

Post by rlesperance »

Because it seemed so complicated while DropBox was so simple. I first cut and pasted the log, but it was so long that giving the full log with DB was obvious to me. I am not accustomed to all this procedure. Have you seen what it took to get the log first ...

What is the problem with a PDF file ? What is the difference between a PDF file and your requirement to post the log ?
Deleted User 11865

rlesperance wrote:What is the problem with a PDF file ? What is the difference between a PDF file and your requirement to post the log ?
Nothing wrong with a PDF, however variable-width fonts make the log harder to read, the indentation conveys some info too.
rlesperance

Post by rlesperance »

Thank you... I will see what I can do to change. that.
Deleted User 11865

rlesperance wrote:Thank you... I will see what I can do to change. that.
The simplest is to not convert at all, just upload the unaltered log file to your Dropbox and post the link ;)

Looks like your DV source is 4:3, which makes sense especially if it originated on Super 8. Maybe your iMovie settings were incorrectly set to 16:9 (thus stretching the content horizontally, or removing the top and bottom of the image)?
rlesperance

Post by rlesperance »

For the log, as far as I can recall, I just copied the log in the HB window and pasted it in a new PDF file .. That's it ! So what did I do wrong ? I will have to find out.

As for the 16:9 settings, in iMovie when I share/export a movie, I have a choice of format. I normally choose «iTunes» or «File». Where can I maintain the original 4:3 format or alter it to 16:9 ? One thing is sure, I didn't make any of these choices consciously.
Deleted User 11865

IIRC (been forever since I used iMovie), the aspect ratio is chosen when creating the project…
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

rlesperance wrote:For the log, as far as I can recall, I just copied the log in the HB window and pasted it in a new PDF file .. That's it ! So what did I do wrong ? I will have to find out.
Handbrake provides a text file for every encode log it generates. Copy and paste into a PDF is not needed when there is already a text file.

SC