UNABLE TO RIP WITH HB - RECENT NEW MACBOOK PRO, 16GB RAM, I7, NIVIEDA

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
outnumbered

UNABLE TO RIP WITH HB - RECENT NEW MACBOOK PRO, 16GB RAM, I7, NIVIEDA

Post by outnumbered »

I have been a long user of HB with my macbook pro 2011', no trouble ripping and recently updated to HB 10.0, still no trouble. I updated my laptop this week to a macbook pro 2014', 16gb ram, 1 tb hard drive, I7 chip with Nivieda graphics processor, with an external dvd superdrive by apple and Yomesite on both the new and old laptops
I have downloaded HB 10, but unfortunately have not been able to read or rip any dvd's, frequently HB says " no valid source found "
I have tried to use an older version of HB...no success, older version then update the version ...no success, used the version from my older macbook and transferred it to the newer laptop....no success.
OK...... need help!
Very frustrated here, any suggestions.
Thanks
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: UNABLE TO RIP WITH HB - RECENT NEW MACBOOK PRO, 16GB RAM, I7, NIVIEDA

Post by Woodstock »

Ripping directly from an encrypted DVD is not supported in Handbrake. It worked in the past for many Mac users because a library to decode DVDs was available.

The solution that will "always" work is to use a tool that knows how to decode DVD and BD disks to do the "rip and decrypt" part of the task, and let Handbrake do what it is best at.

Personally, I use MakeMKV. It's "free while in beta", but many of us have paid to have our own non-expiring key. What I really like about it is that I can rip disks while Handbrake is encoding previously-ripped stuff. Many times I can be 20 or 30 disks ahead of where HB is... I think my record is queuing up enough files to keep HB continuously running for 10 days.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Did you remember to install libdvdcss on your new machine?
outnumbered

Post by outnumbered »

I did not install libdvdcss,
Can you explain how to do this?
Thx TedJ
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

There's an installer package available from the videolan website. Woodstock's advice above still stands; HandBrake will never perform as well as a dedicated ripper.

http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvd ... dvdcss.pkg
outnumbered

Post by outnumbered »

THATS THE REMEDY
THANKS
APPRECIATE THE HELP TEDJ

What are your thoughts on upgrading to 10.0?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

I tend to either build from source or run the latest nightly build myself. As such I would recommend upgrading to 0.10.0, if only for the new mp4 muxer and NLMeans denoiser.
outnumbered

Post by outnumbered »

Thanks TedJ