No Valid Source Found

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Withns

No Valid Source Found

Post by Withns »

I have a MBP running the current version of Mavericks and Handbrake.

I am currently uploading my DVD's to an hard drive. It was working really well until I I figured out that some of my DVD's are different regions and that HandBrake couldn't read the source, unless I changed the region, which as you know can only be done 5 times. So I spent all morning figuring out how to make my DVD player region free (confirmed using DVD X) and now when I try to read any DVD in HandBrake I get the no Valid Source Found. The DVDs play in DVD player.

Have tried looking under source specific and it still wont find anything there.

Is there anything I can do??

Thank you for any help.

Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: No Valid Source Found

Post by Woodstock »

A better solution would be to use something to rip the disks that is intended for such a purpose, and doesn't care about regions. Several such programs exist. I personally use MakeMKV, which is available at makemkv.com . Even though this is a two-step process, it ends up being quicker on the human side, if you have more than one disk to rip.

Decoding/decrypting DVDs is not a feature that works on all machines; it depends upon other programs being installed.

hand179

Post by hand179 »

If you are not happy with MakeMKV, try Ripit from TheLittleAppFactory. It's $25, but it works ...

Withns

Post by Withns »

I have found that in some cases, if I play the DVD, Handbrake can find and upload, but, it takes twice as long and does not work will all of them. Even ones of the same region.

Tried downloading MakeMKV, but it wont recognise the image to open it.

Would prefer to get this working if I can.

Thank you for your suggestions!

hand179

Post by hand179 »

FYI that my Mac has no DVD drive. I use a Panasonic DVD drive (that connects via USB) that I got at Best Buy for about $80. I do not know if Mac drives have region protection in their firmware.

Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Virtually all consumer drives have region protection in their normal firmware - just a fact of life if the manufacturer wants to have the blessing of the DVD logo in most countries. You can buy region-free drives, of course, but they're not considered "consumer".

USB drives have their own considerations on most operating systems. Usually they work. Sometimes, they fail in weird ways. In fact, there's a failure mode for some USB drives that only shows up on programs that can read disks a high speeds... the drive goes off-line, because it can't get enough power from the USB port to run at full speed. Handbrake does not usually trip that, because you're doing compression at the same time you're reading, but it is a problem with dedicated ripping programs.

If you're having a problem with MakeMKV running on the Mac, check the Mac section of their forum. There are some compatibility issues with the latest beta of the coming OS X version.

s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Sounds like you've messed up your drive. This isn't something we can really advise you on, and it's not something HandBrake can work around.

Messing with a drive in such a way can permanently ruin them. There are plenty of fake and dodgy firmware "patches" out there that do more harm than good. It's not just region coding you ahve to worry about. Features such as rip-lock in newer firmware, deliberately slow the drive down when you are trying to read video content off them too fast.