Why aren't "Additional Options" commands working for me?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
truth1ness

Why aren't "Additional Options" commands working for me?

Post by truth1ness »

I'm trying to use the ", --rotate=3" command in the Additional Options field under the video tab to have a video rotated. Based on this thread http://superuser.com/questions/418985/c ... te-a-video it appears most people were able to rotate videos just fine simply by entering this text in the field of the Handbrake GUI which indicates this should be working but it does nothing for me. I've tried every syntax variation I could think of: , --rotate=3 --rotate=3 rotate=3 , --rotate="3" etc. I also tried another command "--audio="none"" to test if it's just the rotate command that's not working but that didn't work either, so it seems like the whole text field is broken. It appears anything I enter in this box is getting ignored, but others clearly seem to have it work fine with the rotate=3 command. What am I doing wrong? Is this broken in the Mac version?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Why aren't "Additional Options" commands working for me?

Post by Ritsuka »

The Additional Options field is for the video encoder. It used to work on the Windows version because it passed the options directly to the cli. But the mac app does not use the cli.
truth1ness

Post by truth1ness »

Ah, I see. So it no longer works in Windows now, too?

Seems like this field should be removed to avoid confusion, no? Is there any actual use for it now? Is the plan to get it to work again in the future?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

The field is for the video encoder options… so it has its used. I don't know if there is a plan to add the rotate function to the gui.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It was actually a bug in the old advanced tab that allowed arguments for HandBrake to be passed in via the advanced encoder options tab. The old tab is still there, and it still works like this. (can be enabled in preferences)

On the video tab, the extra arguments field is purely for the encoder, not for HandBrake options. So there is no reason to remove this. It's really quite useful.

We may add this as a GUI option at some point, but it's not high on the priority list. Maybe after the next release.
truth1ness

Post by truth1ness »

s55 wrote:It was actually a bug in the old advanced tab that allowed arguments for HandBrake to be passed in via the advanced encoder options tab. The old tab is still there, and it still works like this. (can be enabled in preferences)
So I see the Advanced tab and there is a text field at the bottom labelled "Current x264 Advanced Option String". Is this the field where I would put --rotate=3 to get it to work now?

All the fields on this tab are greyed out and I'm not seeing anything in the Preferences along the lines of "enable advanced tab". Where exactly do I do this?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You don't. The Mac Version doesn't use the Command line interface in the background, so you can't ever use command line arguments with it. (My comment was in reference to the Windows GUI only. )

You can't use rotation via the MacGui until support is officially added for it.
truth1ness

Post by truth1ness »

I got Handbrake running in Parallels and the rotate command worked perfectly. Hope to see the functionality somehow brought over to the Mac version in the future. Thanks for your help!