Ripped File Transferred to external becomes corrupt

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
trgray

Ripped File Transferred to external becomes corrupt

Post by trgray »

I've burned a couple movies recently with HB directly to my internal hard drive and they play fine. However as soon as I transfer them to an external drive they somehow become corrupt. When they have been moved to the external drive and I try to open them with QuickTime it says it is not a supported file format.

I've tried transferring the file BACK to the internal hard drive and the corruption appears to be permanent - once transferred back QT still won't open the file.

This is HB 0.9.9 on a MacBook Pro running Mavericks 10.9.4. A recent example is Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. Ripped fine, the ripped file played fine on the internal drive. As soon as I transferred it to an external it was no longer a supported file format in QT. Again QT wouldn't play it even after returning the file to the internal drive.

Any ideas or suggestions?
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Ripped File Transferred to external becomes corrupt

Post by s55 »

Not really anything to do with HandBrake. Probably a dodgy external drive / drive caddy.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Is your external drive formatted FAT32, by any chance? If so, and your encode exceeds 4GB in size, then the file may be truncated when copied to the external drive which would corrupt it.
trgray

Post by trgray »

s55 wrote:Not really anything to do with HandBrake. Probably a dodgy external drive / drive caddy.
I've tried two external hard drives and a thumb drive and it happens every time. Sometimes when I move the file BACK to the internal drive it becomes readable again, but every time I move it to an external then QT will not open it.
trgray

Post by trgray »

TedJ wrote:Is your external drive formatted FAT32, by any chance? If so, and your encode exceeds 4GB in size, then the file may be truncated when copied to the external drive which would corrupt it.
I am trying to watch these movies on a PS3 so yes the drive is necessarily formatted as FAT. The file sizes are all less than 2GB as well.

This does not happen with every movie and every rip, just some. It's very strange to me.

Thanks for the replies though.