GTX 650 - DVD Conversion Speed

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jblagden

GTX 650 - DVD Conversion Speed

Post by jblagden »

My MacBook Pro is a late 2011 13 inch model. I use it for copying my DVDs, but because it only has an integrated graphics card, encoding takes a while and causes me to worry about my Mac's processor burning out. To remedy this, I'll buy an external graphics card enclosure. Later this year, after the release of either the fourth generation Vidock or the Silverstone T004, I'll be plugging a GTX 650 into my MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt.

I'd like to know what kind of conversion speeds I can expect with the GTX 650 with 2 gigabytes of VRAM.

Specifically, how long would it take to copy a movie that's an hour and a half long?
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: GTX 650 - DVD Conversion Speed

Post by s55 »

HandBrake won't use it, so no difference. GPU's are not good for video encoding. This is why we are seeing dedicated hardware on CPU's / GPU's now. (I.e QuickSync, NVEnc, VCE etc)

Even then, Thunderbolt is pretty slow compared to a full PCI-E bus, so will almost certainly bottleneck. Raw uncompressed video is massive and will eat a heck of a lot of bandwidth.

Time taken depends on the settings used anyway. The difference between fast and slow settings is orders of magnitude difference.