The Godfather - The Only Unencodeable DVD?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
boltjames

The Godfather - The Only Unencodeable DVD?

Post by boltjames »

None of my friends can encode The Godfather I using Handbrake. Dozens of other titles, including Godfather II, no problem. But the first one, no dice. Will take its 44 minutes to rip, but then just hands on 100% and never gives the "finished" dialog box.

Anyone have the fix for this?

BJ
kevinbal

Post by kevinbal »

Encoded just fine for me... are you trying multiple discs of the same movie or the same disc in multiple computers?
MichaelLAX

Post by MichaelLAX »

Make it an offer, it can't refuse!
baggss

Post by baggss »

I seem to recall having some issues with the Godfather I. I think I had to use MTR and or DVD2OneX to get that one to rip.
John Meyer

Post by John Meyer »

bolt - i've got the same problem...i can rip it just fine with dvdfab, but can't get it to encode with handbrake. i've tried it several times using the ipod hi-rez preset and it hangs at the end of the encoding process and never finishes.
boltjames

Post by boltjames »

kevinbal wrote:Encoded just fine for me... are you trying multiple discs of the same movie or the same disc in multiple computers?
Same disc in multiple computers. My friend has the same disc (from the 3 movie boxed set) and it too won't encode. Gets to 100% and then never gives you the "complete" message box.

BJ
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

MTR ---> DTOX (Movie Only) -----> HBCLI
Rhoadescw

Re: The Godfather - The Only Unencodeable DVD?

Post by Rhoadescw »

boltjames wrote:None of my friends can encode The Godfather I using Handbrake. Dozens of other titles, including Godfather II, no problem. But the first one, no dice. Will take its 44 minutes to rip, but then just hands on 100% and never gives the "finished" dialog box.

Anyone have the fix for this?

BJ
I have been trying for days to do Godfather III with the same problem. I haven't tried the other versions of Godfather yet.

I downloaded a previous version of Handbrake with no luck either.

I just switched over to a mac from a pc and I had a flawless (and free!) way to copy DVDs with dvd shrink (and other programs). Having trouble finding an equivalent on the mac.

Open to suggestions...thanks.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Cavalicious wrote:MTR ---> DTOX (Movie Only) -----> HBCLI
While that will work, it's not a practical solution for those of us that are not CLI junkies. What's the point of having the pretty GUI if the answer to any problem is "use the CLI".
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Well, sometime you have to use the CLI if the pretty GUI is crashing on you. But, after all, I am a little bias. :wink:
baggss

Post by baggss »

Cavalicious wrote:Well, sometime you have to use the CLI if the pretty GUI is crashing on you. But, after all, I am a little bias. :wink:
Just a little?

I know what you mean. My point is that the GUI should (eventually) perhaps be as/more stable (I'm not saying it's not, it just seems like it is more crash prone lately, even to me). While the CLI is an option, it's not a good one for probably 95% + of HBs target audience.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Understood... Completely agree.
stmiller
Novice

Post by stmiller »

EDIT: I disabled chapter marks, and now it seems to be working. I'll let you know in a couple of hours. :)

EDIT 2: Encoded ok but now frozen at 100% at end. I killed HandBrake but movie seems intact and OK. Plays fine!

Code: Select all

$ HandBrakeCLI -i /dev/dvd -o /media/disk/Movies/godfather1.mp4 -e x264 -S 700 -E faac -B 160 -2 -T
Last edited by stmiller on Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
mike693

Post by mike693 »

Godfather I worked for me after the total bitrate was reduced to about 3000. This reduced the file size below 4GB, and prevented the muxing problem at 100%.
tomfoolery_79

Post by tomfoolery_79 »

I too am having this problem with Godfather using XP. I have the 3 disc boxset and NONE of the 3 in the series will encode. It goes all the way thru the encoding and freezes/gets stuck at 100%, but never fully completes. I'll try removing chapter markers.
cdaiger

Post by cdaiger »

My bet is you are breaking the 4GB size. Either lower your quality to produce a file <4GB or enable the >4GB option. Whenever my encodes hang at 100% it has been because of file size.
DaveGee

Post by DaveGee »

Sorry for bringing up an old topic but I do like to search before I post and figured I'd just as soon add on to the end of this thread instead of opening another with the same problems....

So I too am having issues with The Godfather boxed edition (the very 1st release iirc)... It has:

1 Disc for GF
2 Disc for GF II****
1 Disc for GF III
1 Disc for GF Bonus Features

So anyway I ripped all the disc without any errors (or so I though) with RipIt for OS X and placed them into my movies folder... I'm in the process of setting up XBMC for a front end and I must say its very nice so far... So I go to show off my new toy to my home-automation hating wife and the polish of it was working quite well until I show her how easy it was to start a move and I pick GFIII as a random choice (my least favorite but anyway), the dvd menu shows up just fine and the I use the dvd menu 'play movie' and ***BOOM*** XBMC crashes!

She just smiled that 'uh-hu' smile of hers and walked out of the computer room saying dinner will be at 7 tonight...

So.. I say dam it must of been a fluke...

Restarted OS X and tried it again from XBMC got to the GF3 DVD menus and then chose Play Move and BOOM same as before
Restarted OS X and tied dropping the VIDEO_TS file on the macs built in dvd playing software.. it also behaved badly (no a crash per say but the movie would not play)

Okay bad rip...

Reripped it fresh with nothing else running in OS X (in the foreground anyway) and ripped it to my desktop (local drive) instead of the netdrive.

Same exact behavior...

So now I'm using what I hope is a different dvd ripper called Mac DVDRipper Pro***

Well rip is done... Fingers crossed...

Nope same as before...

- Apple's dvd wont even show the intro menu
- XBMC ... odd finding but I need to reboot to see if its what I think it is...

brb

*** Did you guys notice some companies (?) are all selling the same exact Mac ""dvd ripping"" software under a million different names funning this is (and the reason I know they are all the same) is cause none of them provide a method to JUST rip a DVD to the HD... They all feel the need to transcode it into another format (something that I just don't want).
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Unfortunately, the Mac doesn't have anywhere near as many decent ripping tools as Windows. I'd give my firstborn son for a Mac port of AnyDVD...

I'm not too sure how ripping DVD's for playback in XBMC pertains to Handbrake, however.
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

@DaveGee, Your using RipIt have you tried MacTheRipper?
Sumleilmus

Rip to HD first

Post by Sumleilmus »

I have transcoded The Godfather several times with various versions of Handbrake. This is because I lack skill at maintaining digital archives.

I _always_ ripped the commercial DVD first to my HD, using a tool such as Mac the Ripper. I always use the most current version listed on ripdifferent. I suspect this will work for you as well. Since my usual goal is to burn a playable DVD-R or DVD+R as well as create a compressed digital file, I rip first, then point first DTOX2 then Handbrake at the output from MTR.

Good luck.