How To: Rip, Encode and Combine Using Fairmount & DTOX

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Thanks all
kenzo

Post by kenzo »

I've followed the tutorial at the start of this thread, but when loading the combined titles from the DVD2OneX I get 3 different titles in handbrake.

I thought the idea of using Dvd2Onex was to combine the different titles (extra materials etc) into one title and then run that through handbrake?

What happens now is that I load the 3 different titles and put them in que. But the que automatically overwrites the previous title, thus leaving me with only the last title (nr 3)...

What am I doing wrong?
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

Nicely done, but if I may add a suggestion: in my opinion it's important that DVD2OneX doesn't recompress the movie before you pass it on to HandBrake, to avoid losing quality. In your example this is no problem since a movie only rip stays under 4.36 GB, but most movies will pass this limit and by default DVD2OneX is set to recompress to fit on a single layer DVD.
So, I would add to your tutorial to change the settings for DVD2OneX to double layer output (DVD-RW(DL)). Without recompression, the process will also be faster.
DaveQ
Novice

Post by DaveQ »

I gave the procedure outlined above a try. Thanks for the tutorial, Cav.

From what I've seen, there are a couple of disadvantages compared with MTR. It's entirely possible I'm missing something here, so let me know if that's what's going on.

1. Has anybody else seen *much* slower ripping performance with this setup vs. MTR? Example: MTR averaged between 10 and 15 minutes for a full-disc rip on my system. Fairmount + DVD2OneX is taking more than a full hour on identical titles, using movie only mode. Even if I leave DVD2OneX out of it, and just do a finder copy of the VIDEO_TS folder on the Fairmount-mounted DVD, it's taking over an hour. I'm running everything on an iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 3 GB ram, and an external Sony firewire/USB 2.0 DVD burner (performs better for most uses than the iMac's internal DVD burner).

2. DVD2OneX doesn't appear to allow elimination of zero cells on full-disc rips. I realize if you deselect certain cells then technically it wouldn't be "full disc," but for backup uses other than encoding in HandBrake, it might be useful to make a full-disc copy. Maybe I missed something, but I can't find any settings that allow this.

3. This is a less-than-ideal solution for TV-series discs, which typically don't have a single "main" title. Often there are three or four episodes on a single disc, and what you want are those titles (plural) rather than a single title. Unless I missed something, there isn't a way to grab more than one title using DVD2OneX unless you do a full disc rip, which brings us back to the problem outlined in #2 above.

Dave
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

DaveQ wrote:1. Has anybody else seen *much* slower ripping performance with this setup vs. MTR? Example: MTR averaged between 10 and 15 minutes for a full-disc rip on my system. Fairmount + DVD2OneX is taking more than a full hour on identical titles, using movie only mode. Even if I leave DVD2OneX out of it, and just do a finder copy of the VIDEO_TS folder on the Fairmount-mounted DVD, it's taking over an hour. I'm running everything on an iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 3 GB ram, and an external Sony firewire/USB 2.0 DVD burner (performs better for most uses than the iMac's internal DVD burner).
I have noticed that it *is* a longer process typically ... though it really depends on the source. Some are faster than mtr.
DaveQ wrote: 2. DVD2OneX doesn't appear to allow elimination of zero cells on full-disc rips. I realize if you deselect certain cells then technically it wouldn't be "full disc," but for backup uses other than encoding in HandBrake, it might be useful to make a full-disc copy. Maybe I missed something, but I can't find any settings that allow this.
Correct, you cannot remove zero cells on a full disk extraction, though with just mtr, you cannot remove zero cells with either method. As I understand it, zero cells are not as much of an issue in full disk mode, since there is not as much "remastering" taking place. But, as I said, this is the case whether using mtr or not as using movie only with dtox and deselecting zero cells manually is still a recommended workaround for problem titles even with the latest mtr. Afaik, dtox is the only mac solution that allows you to remove zero cells from a title.
DaveQ wrote: 3. This is a less-than-ideal solution for TV-series discs, which typically don't have a single "main" title. Often there are three or four episodes on a single disc, and what you want are those titles (plural) rather than a single title. Unless I missed something, there isn't a way to grab more than one title using DVD2OneX unless you do a full disc rip, which brings us back to the problem outlined in #2 above.
Here, a full disk extraction makes the most sense same as preripping with mtr, so in HB you can choose each title.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

whimpers wrote:Nicely done, but if I may add a suggestion: in my opinion it's important that DVD2OneX doesn't recompress the movie before you pass it on to HandBrake, to avoid losing quality. In your example this is no problem since a movie only rip stays under 4.36 GB, but most movies will pass this limit and by default DVD2OneX is set to recompress to fit on a single layer DVD.
So, I would add to your tutorial to change the settings for DVD2OneX to double layer output (DVD-RW(DL)). Without recompression, the process will also be faster.
Noted
DaveQ
Novice

Post by DaveQ »

dynaflash wrote:I have noticed that it *is* a longer process typically ... though it really depends on the source. Some are faster than mtr.
Hmmm... I haven't seen anything go faster with Fairmount/DVD2OneX than with MTR. In fact, nothing's even come close - every title I've compared so far has been more than three times slower. I'll have to do some troubleshooting, I think.

Thanks for your reply.

Dave
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

DaveQ wrote:1. Has anybody else seen *much* slower ripping performance with this setup vs. MTR? Example: MTR averaged between 10 and 15 minutes for a full-disc rip on my system. Fairmount + DVD2OneX is taking more than a full hour on identical titles, using movie only mode.

DaveQ wrote:I'm running everything on an iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 3 GB ram, and an external Sony firewire/USB 2.0 DVD burner (performs better for most uses than the iMac's internal DVD burner).
I just got curious as I also us an external drive with my mbp. In my case its a Pioneer 112d in an external firewire enclosure. When using mtr, it has better performance than the internal mbp superdrive. Now, I got to thinking that maybe fairmount is slower when mounting an external drive since it uses its internal server mechanism.

So, in the interest of thoroughness, I tried it two ways, once with my internal superdrive then the exact same disk and dtox settings with my Pioneer firewire drive. To my amazement these were the ripping times:

Internal Superdrive: 22:18
External Firewire Drive: 1:31:50

Can anyone else verify that fairmount works faster using their internal drive as opposed to an external USB or Firewire drive ?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

kenzo wrote:I've followed the tutorial at the start of this thread, but when loading the combined titles from the DVD2OneX I get 3 different titles in handbrake.
Thats because you are clicking on "+" and not "++"
kenzo wrote:I thought the idea of using Dvd2Onex was to combine the different titles (extra materials etc) into one title and then run that through handbrake?
Although that is clearly what the Title Does Not say, I guess you can do what you are asking...mind you follow the directions correctly.
kenzo wrote:What happens now is that I load the 3 different titles and put them in que. But the que automatically overwrites the previous title, thus leaving me with only the last title (nr 3)...

Thats because you kept the same output file name.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

DaveQ,

I pretty much have the same computer as you. As you can see from the last screenshot, I average ~30 - 40mins for a Movie Only Fairmount rip -what I need (verses a ~20 - 30min Full Disc rip with MTR-what I don't need) Internal drive only.
Bear Hunter

Post by Bear Hunter »

Hey guys RATATOUILLE renders Fairmount useless (freezes). There must be some new kind of protection on this title.

MTR seems to be working on a movie only extraction, but only under 14f (other versions do not finish the scan). I had to try multiple scans with 14f to get it working.

...still ripping right now, I'll let you know how the end product turns out.
Bear Hunter

Post by Bear Hunter »

Okay...movie only under 14f is done...haven't tried to play it yet:

But here is the deal.... since it originally scanned with 14f and I had to try multiple times the second go around....I did the same with 14i. I did get 14i to scan.

So bottom line...all the new versions of MTR *should* scan...it might take you a couple of tries though.

Another side note...2.6.6 also scans but progress indicator says 12hrs...so that method is a no-go in my book (so I don't know if it will actually finish ripping or not)

I am attempting a full disk extraction right now with 14i.

EDIT: Full disk extraction still going strong...keeping fingers crossed.
kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Thanx:)

The "++" option was the cause of the error. Now it works like a charm.

Cheers!
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

DaveQ wrote:This is a less-than-ideal solution for TV-series discs, which typically don't have a single "main" title. Often there are three or four episodes on a single disc, and what you want are those titles (plural) rather than a single title. Unless I missed something, there isn't a way to grab more than one title using DVD2OneX unless you do a full disc rip, which brings us back to the problem outlined in #2 above.
As I rarely if ever do any Tv show dvd's I have never explored multiple titles with dtox. As it turns out, it is very possible. Just use the Title entry in the tree view on the left to set which dvd title Dtox will use. Then, if you want to add another dvd title you can click on the "+" button at the bottom (dont use the "++" button as thats for joining one title after the other in a seamless fashion, for say a movie that spans two dvd's, awesome feature I might say) anyway, the "+" button will let you select another source, in this case, you would use the same source, then a different title. A new title will be added to your movie only rip ( it will default to what it thinks the main feature is, but using the "title" in the tree view again, you can change that). So, in this way, you *can* get as many titles as you want, and also have the ability to deselect 0 cells!

Just did it with Transformers for kicks and it works fantastic.

Note: don't know why you'd want to, but it occurs to me you could mix titles from different sources in one output file set to feed HB. Might have to try it sometime just to see how it works.
DaveQ
Novice

Post by DaveQ »

Dynaflash -- Thanks! It's funny how easy it is to miss something obvious like a + button. I'll try this and check whether the internal DVD drive in the iMac is any faster than the external firewire drive as well later this evening.

Dave
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Cavalicious: what are the odds we could get you to redo this and incorporate it into your fairmount + dtox sticky ?

We are trying to pare down the stickies a bit and plus, that way all dvd2one -> HB stuff will be in one great sticky.

Would be a great resource for the us.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

I knew that was coming...

I was just trying to figure out an efficient way to combine the two.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Sadly, you will likely have to manually redo it. I think jbrjake tried merging the two and had problems. :(
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

I wouldn't be happy with a blind merge anyway. I'm more concerned with layout than anything else.
Unkagar

Post by Unkagar »

Except for having FairMount automatically open DVDs, this is pretty much exactly what I do. It works great. It is a combination that worked on about 99% percent of the DVDs I have ripped.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Cavalicious, nice job combining the two topics into one nice guide. Looks great! Thanks!
peterjcat
Novice

Post by peterjcat »

One thing about joining multi-disc movies using DTOX as per the guide -- as far as I can see you can't create a single title that is larger than 9GB, so it's not possible for example to join any of the Lord of the Rings super-extended editions into single titles without a bit of recompression. It might not make that much difference, but if you're leery of recompressing the DVD before sending it to Handbrake then the old way of separately Handbraking the titles and then joining the results together might still be preferable.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

peterjcat wrote:One thing about joining multi-disc movies using DTOX as per the guide -- as far as I can see you can't create a single title that is larger than 9GB, so it's not possible for example to join any of the Lord of the Rings super-extended editions into single titles without a bit of recompression. It might not make that much difference, but if you're leery of recompressing the DVD before sending it to Handbrake then the old way of separately Handbraking the titles and then joining the results together might still be preferable.
I don't remember my Movie Only titles being over 9gb. Either way, you can't tell once encoded. All 3 parts came out fine for me.
peterjcat
Novice

Post by peterjcat »

Cavalicious wrote:I don't remember my Movie Only titles being over 9gb. Either way, you can't tell once encoded. All 3 parts came out fine for me.
I'm sure that's right. I'm using PAL versions so that might explain the size of them. RotK movie-only is 5.09GB for Part 1 and 5.08GB for Part 2.
in2deep

Audio Sync Problem

Post by in2deep »

Followed the instructions to the letter using Fairmont, DTOX and then Handbrake. The final output has about a 2 second lag on the video from the audio. I loaded the VOB file that DTOX created and it all looks fine. It seems to only happen during the Handbrake process and subsequent loading by Quicktime. Any ideas how to get the audio back correctly sync'd.