How To: Convert AVI to MP4

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Benzi98

How To: Convert AVI to MP4

Post by Benzi98 »

I want to Burn my dvd's to my ps3. right now they are in avi format. how do I convert them to a file-type readable to PS3?

Thanks a lot!!!
burlives

Post by burlives »

If you are on a mac check out VisualHub.

http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/
Benzi98

Post by Benzi98 »

Is there one of these programes that are free or at least less expensive?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

You can try Streamclip
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

iSquint is for free too, it uses the same engine as VisualHub, but only does mp4 conversion. It's meant for iPod conversion, but you can use it for other devices too. Checking optimize for TV and h264 should work fine for a PS3.

If you want to have a higher resolution than 640 px wide, you can change it in the advanced panel (you could set it to 720x404). With a higher resolution you can also use a higher bitrate (no problem for the PS3 to use between 2000 and 2500). It all depends on the quality you had in the avi files, and how picky you are about keeping quality.
eddyg
Veteran User

Re: How To: Convert AVI to MP4

Post by eddyg »

Benzi98 wrote:I want to Burn my dvd's to my ps3. right now they are in avi format. how do I convert them to a file-type readable to PS3?

Thanks a lot!!!
Sounds like they are not your dvd's if they are in AVI format. If they are your DVDs then use HandBrake direct from the DVDs, you know, that program that this forum is about?

Cheers, Ed.
haifischjunge

Post by haifischjunge »

does anyone know a programm to move videos without reencoding from avi to mp4?
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

haifischjunge wrote:does anyone know a programm to move videos without reencoding from avi to mp4?
When I want to move a movie without reencoding I like to use the "mv" command from a Terminal Window. Another favourite is the drag and drop in the Finder or Windows Explorer.

Now all of this changes should you have the physical DVDs, in that case I suggest using your "hands" to pick the movies up and then put them down somewhere else, i.e. moving them.

Cheers, Ed.