problems when using "target size" option

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
chenks

problems when using "target size" option

Post by chenks »

forgive me if this has been mentioned before.

i'm using mac verion 0.90 - whenever i try to rip form DVD using AppleTV preset... i choose the "target size" option.. i set it to 200mb for example.

the finished file i get is only about 38mb... i have tried a few times and got the same results.

is it anything i am doing wrong?

if i use "average bitrate" then it works ok.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

You need to mention, among other things, which operating system you're using.
chenks

Post by chenks »

hawkman wrote:You need to mention, among other things, which operating system you're using.
i did specify i was using the mac verison 0.90.
i thought that would be enough.... but hey-ho.. is OSX 10.4.10.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

So you did, my apologies. Missed it.

Are you using 1 or 2 passes? 2 passes should be much more likely to hit your target, but it's missing by an awful lot...

Is it consistent on this disc? How about other discs? Is it only when you use the preset, or does it happen if you manually set the target?
chenks

Post by chenks »

i just tried it again by setting average bitrate to 1200... and the file came out at 7mb !! it should be around 200mb with that bitrate.

with this disc i have had 2 correct rips.. and 2 incorrect rips.

it was using 1 pass all the time
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Eek. Do the rips actually complete?
chenks

Post by chenks »

the one that was 7mb... the rip completed.. i got the "complete" dialog box... but it only took about 1min to do the "rip.

the ones that did rip correctly took the appropriate amount of time according to the bitrate i had set.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

The 7MB one could indicate you ran out of memory there. I'd say either that or copy protection made it choke. But you say the others all finished fine apart from the silly file size, so I'm a bit stumped.
chenks

Post by chenks »

hawkman wrote:The 7MB one could indicate you ran out of memory there. I'd say either that or copy protection made it choke. But you say the others all finished fine apart from the silly file size, so I'm a bit stumped.
i have 2gb ram, and nothing else was running at the time.
i suspect it might be copy protection.

if it is, any way round it ?
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

It might be worth trying with the new version of MacTheRipper - 3r14, or something like that - if you can get hold of it. They're being kinda tight (in my opinion) and requiring "donations" for an official download though.