WMV conversion is quite bad, compared to the source

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
darshie

WMV conversion is quite bad, compared to the source

Post by darshie »

I know that obviously the settings has to be tweaked, but I tried a bit and seems that I am not able to hit the soft spot for these.

So far I've used HB to convert FLV videos in a format that I can watch on ipad and ATV, and I can't complain about it.

Now I started to convert many of the movies and video that I have in WMV, to something that I can play on my computer (not only on iPad or ATV).I have purchased a WMV decoder called flip4mac, and I also have Perian installed.

The main issue is that after the conversion, the video result quite worst than the original (the videos have variable quality, but mostly they are 720 or 1080p, while the smaller ones are 640x480). I am using the regular/normal profile, and I've changed few things, from the original settings:

Changed from constant quality to average bitrate, setting it to 1800 and with 2 pass encoding
reduced the audio quality to mono 96 or stereo 96 (depends from the source, where I have music usually I like to keep it in stereo, but for educational movies and training clips I don't care to have stereo).

I didn't touch anything else, from the profile.

The video also seems to loose sync with the audio, if I scrub it in preview or QT player, while if I play the WMV files they skip correctly to the new position, without freezing the video and playing the audio (the issue fixes by itself after a bit that you play the video, but it is annoying honestly).

Could you suggest me what I am doing wrong? I would assume that the conversion should be as good as the one done from flv; since I am not compressing the source further.

Thanks!
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Re: WMV conversion is quite bad, compared to the source

Post by GregiBoy »

See the big red box above your post? We don't play "20 Questions"!!

POST ACTIVITY LOG!!!
darshie

Post by darshie »

Thanks for the reply; I've read the red box and checked the logs already...I didn't download today handbrake; have been using it for 3 years now. The logs are fine, there are no errors and all the encoding jobs has correct info on it, no skipped frames, there was a bit of silence added on few clips, but overall they don't show anything out of the ordinary.

I am not playing 20 questions; I was simply asking if it is something already experienced by someone, that some encoding may show the issues that I have pointed out, with WMV files. I've spent the past day and a half researching on this and other forums, before posting....believe me I have better things to do than bother people for fun.

Anyway seems that the issue happens only with average bitrate set; I've switched to constant quality at RF 18 and 16.5 and the issues are gone. The only downside is just a mild desaturation on the colors, but the sync problem and the noticeable decrement in quality are gone.

I am planning to submit a bug, in the bugs section; in case someone wanna take a look at the issue.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

You are asking us to play twenty questions with you though. That's why you need to post the log, as we don't know anything about the source or anything else related to your encodes.

SC
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

darshie wrote:Thanks for the reply; I've read the red box and checked the logs already...I didn't download today handbrake; have been using it for 3 years now.
This is an easy one: old versions of HB aren't supported.

darshie wrote:I am planning to submit a bug, in the bugs section; in case someone wanna take a look at the issue.
At the rate you're going, it will be summarily rejected.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Anyway seems that the issue happens only with average bitrate set;
Don't bother posting a bug report, you've already identified your issue, which is bitrate relative to source. That's why we have Constant Quality.
If you would like support, post the corresponding encode log; that requirement is not contingent on you deciding it is necessary.
darshie

Post by darshie »

mduell wrote:
darshie wrote:Thanks for the reply; I've read the red box and checked the logs already...I didn't download today handbrake; have been using it for 3 years now.
This is an easy one: old versions of HB aren't supported.

darshie wrote:I am planning to submit a bug, in the bugs section; in case someone wanna take a look at the issue.
At the rate you're going, it will be summarily rejected.
1) The fact that I use HB since 3 years ago, does not imply that I am using the same version...I bet that you guys have a lot of people with IQ below 70, that ask questions....that's why you expect that any person posting must be some sort of retard?
If the problem is my English and my way to ask questions, then I apologize for not being so clear; I am sure that when your boss at work don't speak English well, you try to understand him/her, so I would expect the same understanding, even if I don't pay you, form a human standpoint.

2) May I ask you why it would be summarily rejected? You check bug reports based on how you consider a person that submit one? That's quite interesting.
If is too much of a hassle to give a hand and report an issue, I am wondering what is the point of having a community. I like and care about this software, and thought that people here would be more friendly with newcomers.
musicvid wrote: Don't bother posting a bug report, you've already identified your issue, which is bitrate relative to source. That's why we have Constant Quality.
If you would like support, post the corresponding encode log; that requirement is not contingent on you deciding it is necessary.
I would like to support; that's the reason why I am even mentioning the issue in first place; the identification of the issue is just half of the work; then it is necessary to figure out why an issue happen and eventually fix it. I assume that people uses the other option, so if it is there and is not working, shouldn't be fixed or removed? Purely logical question.

I will use a file and do the compression with the 2 different methods, and submit the log, so you can eventually see if it is an issue worth consider.

Thanks
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

People here are normally very friendly.

If you had taken the time to read the red box in simple English instead of writing long posts justifying why you didn't and done as asked, we all would be far more progressed and happier,

Yes, we do get a lot of users that do not know what they are doing but are not retards, and that is why we insist on the logs.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

How do we know what version you are using? You didn't post a log.

SC
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

This is going nowhere.

locking...