Slow encoding on OS X

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jathos

Slow encoding on OS X

Post by jathos »

I want to report a similar problem to this guy:
http://mediafork.dynalias.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251

I have a MacBook Pro, Dual Core Intel running OS X Tiger. I use 2-pass AVC/MP4 encoding at 1000 average bitrate.

I've tried this on several DVDs, using both Handbrake and MediaFork on the same DVDs to compare.

Handbrake gets a steady fps in the high 20s, on both the first and second pass.

When I try using MediaFork, the first pass hums along in the high 20s, but the second pass slows to a crawl, hovering around 7 fps.

No biggie - I'll just stick with Handbrake for now. But I thought you guys would like to know that the previous thread was not an isolated case.
baggss

Post by baggss »

I've seen this on one DVD with MF on my Quad, and a few times with HB. Does this happen with every DVD you try?
mike693

Post by mike693 »

I have experienced a similar slow down on the second pass in beta 1 as well. It only occured once, in the middle of processing a long (overnight) queue. I rebooted and picked up where I left off and there was no slowdown during that second session.

My active memory usage slowly creeps up while MF is running. When I observed the above slowdown, it was up to about 1GB (out of 2GB). I usually run shorter queues and it never gets that high.

Inactive memory increases more quickly until free memory hovers at about 25MB.

I thought I would report this in case this is a potential cause of the slowdown reported (or if this much memory usage is not "normal" in any case).

I wonder if 4GB of RAM would facilitate longer queues.
DeFett

Post by DeFett »

My first post!

Just wanted to say that I've been following the development forums since it all first started and just wanted to say well done to the guys that have been working on MediaFork, great work!

Anyways back to the thread topic.

I have also had slow encoding on the 2nd pass but after testing a few discs I think it maybe a PAL vs NTSC thing.

I've just started ripping my music videos from my DVDs and noticed I had a NTSC disc (I'm in Region 4 so it'e rare to get an NTSC DVD) so I started with that one. Encoding on the normal (x264 h.264 ipod) 1500 setting a 3.50 minute song took 15-20 minute on a 2pass encoding which was good seeing as I have an older Mac.

Now, same setting with a PAL version disc with a music video and it has come up with 10hours on the 2nd pass at 0.10fps. I'm going to test some other PAL DVDs to see if it's a disc thing.
Kurtz

Post by Kurtz »

Hi

Im also haveing huge slow downs part way through encodes
Im running a C2D Macbook pro with 2GB of RAM

x264 2000Kbps average
CPU starts off maxing out which is great, then either at 2nd pass or halfway through a single drops to around 30%

Results in a very low FPS

Im going to do some testing of the same file in Handbrake to see if that has the same effect. I'll Report back asap
helixomnimedia

Post by helixomnimedia »

I think I need to upgrade my computer.

I'm using a PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz Processor and 1GB Memory and encoding with HandBrake/MediaFork takes forever.

A 42 min (typical TV Programme) takes 5h40min (each pass) using the following settings:
H.264, 1500kbps, 640x480, 2-Pass Encoding.

Is this about average?
Kurtz

Post by Kurtz »

Hi
Thats sounds ok for a powerbook.
H.264 is so complex it takes an age to encode. The results (quality and Size) make up for that i think.
You will notice a definate difference if you upgrade though.

Anyway back to the slowdowns
Handbrake seems to have a similar problem with the file i was encodeing. Found out it could be a zero file problem so cleaned the file up in dvd2onex and MF seemed to have no problems.

Ill carry out some more tests and post back if i find any other reasons or films that slow down in the same way
Eileron

Post by Eileron »

I'm experiencing the fabled slowdown as well - mainly in an overnight queue of about 8 DVDs, and I know they don't have zero cells or any problems like that. After about 16 hours or so Activity Monitor (on the first pass) reports Media Fork using 173% of my CPU (I'm on a Macbook), 50 mb real memory, 400 mb virtual memory.