Lost my choice of file size!

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
RedFridge

Lost my choice of file size!

Post by RedFridge »

Hi there,

I use HandBrake quite a lot, and one of the features I often use, is the place where I can type the limit/target file size for the converted video. This is great for me to manage how much space a video takes up, however recently, I updated the newest build of Handbrake (don't know how new this new version is) and to my dismay, the box where I type in how many mb I want, has now disappeared. :cry:

Does anyone know if this feature has still been included in the newest version, or will I have to go back to an older version?
If I need to go back to an older version, in the SourceForge place with all the files, which is the right software for Mac under 0.9.5 (last available version)?

Hopefully this makes sense!
Thanks
RedFridge
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Lost my choice of file size!

Post by TedJ »

Target filesize was dropped from HandBrake with the 0.9.6 release, although you could just use average bitrate encoding in conjunction with one of the many online video bitrate calculators.

http://www.3ivx.com/support/calculator/
RedFridge

Post by RedFridge »

That's fine, I don't mind things being taken out of software if they are too buggy etc.
So, when I go to older versions on the handbrake website on SourceForge, I go to the last version available (0.9.5), however, there are at least 4 Mac .dmg 's for me to download. Which is the right one/best one? :/ :/

Thanks
RedFridge
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

GUI (graphical user interface), x86_64 (if you have a 64-bit processor) or i386 (32-bit).

But as TedJ pointed out, if you can learn to use an online bitrate calculator, you can also take advantage of the new version.
RedFridge

Post by RedFridge »

Thanks a lot! I will try the bitrate calculator, looks simple enough, but even if that doesn't suit me, will just go back a version! :)
Thanks!
RedFridge
tmcdanel

Post by tmcdanel »

I use Handbrake for many things, a much greater variety of uses than what i ever expected, and one reason is that i dont have to figure everything out. There is a core of knowledgable people who designed it in a way that i dont have to understand the many details they do.

I am writing this to say, i really miss this function. I concur that if it was buggy i get why its left out, but i used it often. As suggested above i can learn how to use the calculator, or more likely i will try to find the correct older version but hope the scaling function is returned, so where in a future version.

Thanks to the many diligent coders who have given much,
terry.
tmcdanel

Post by tmcdanel »

This summer i am working in the mountains and do not have Internet access. The bit calculator is no help there.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

You have a computer, you can use Handbrake, then you can download OpenOffice (or use Office) and a spreadsheet when you have access.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23912

A feature that was removed years ago, isn't likely to be re-implemented in a few days.

SC
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

Smithcraft wrote: A feature that was removed years ago, isn't likely to be re-implemented in a few days.
SC
It's very unlikely to EVER be re-implemented...

:D :wink: :mrgreen:
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

GregiBoy wrote:
Smithcraft wrote: A feature that was removed years ago, isn't likely to be re-implemented in a few days.
SC
It's very unlikely to EVER be re-implemented...
Maybe if you add an N first…