digital download

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
discless
Enlightened

digital download

Post by discless »

If I own the DVD/BR can I just download a DRM-free version of a digital copy from a torrent site and save much time and effort?
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Re: digital download

Post by GregiBoy »

You can do whatever you want but that's not to say that it is legal in whatever country you are located.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

U.S.A. just like most of the Handbrake moderators...
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Can you? Yes.

Is it legal in the US? No.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I think only one of the Handbrake devs are in the US...

SC
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

mduell wrote:Can you? Yes.

Is it legal in the US? No.
Is that because the Handbrake rip is also not legal in the US?
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

It's nothing to do with Handbrake whatsoever.

If you are woried about the legalities, I suggest you use Google and look up "Fair Use Rights" & "MPAA".

If you are not concerned about any legalities, I suggest that you use a header editor to strip out all reference where the file came from and rename it to your own standard.

Enoug said?
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Having looked it up, it appears that using Handbrake to make a copy, for say my iPad, is a violation of the copyright, but since it is for an iPad owned by me, to be used by me, there would be a defense to the copyright violation known as "fair use."

What I do not understand, is the difference in the situation I mentioned: downloading it from the internet already ripped for an iPad is again a copying that violates the copyright. But why would I not again have the same defense of "fair use;" what difference does it make where the copy comes from as long as it is still a copy of the DVD/BR that I own?

Are you suggesting that I can not be "assisted" in making this copy by a third party, like my best friend who knows how to use Handbrake on his computer, when maybe I am a computer noob?

The point is not to strip out the header; it is to be confident in the knowledge that I can use any "digital download" available to me instead of taking the time to use Handbrake. If I am confident in that knowledge, then I do not have to worry what the header has to say.
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

See your lawyer!!!
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

You are welcome to ask us about Handbrake, how ever we are not lawyers and can not answer your legal questions.

However - It is a violation, in the United States, to break DRM, whether it's for fair use or not. If you were in Belgium, you could do what you want to do legally. Or so I read recently.

SC
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

What makes it especially confusing is here is a guy who is taking his complete BluRay library and getting forum advice on how to rip it in a way so that it will fit on an iPad that belongs to someone else! I don't think that he had to talk to his lawyer...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26822
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

We can not offer legal advice here. Locking thread.