Compressing MKV to under 1 GB

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bpwhistler

Compressing MKV to under 1 GB

Post by bpwhistler »

Hi...I rip all of my BlueTooth discs to MKV files. These files are typically 20 GB +. My son has one of my old iPad's that is hurting for storage...and he wants as many of his movies on it as possible. He also doesn't care about the videos being of impeccable quality. I'd like to rip a bunch of my MKV files to iPad compatible files that are under 1 GB. I've played with a bunch of settings but have only been able to get them down to about 2 -3 GB.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm a NOOB...so please go easy on me! :oops:

Thanks
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: Compressing MKV to under 1 GB

Post by Smithcraft »

I would suggest a couple of things.

First, reduce the size from 1080 to 720.

Second, make sure that there is only one audio track and reduce the quality to just above what isn't tolerable. Maybe AAC at 96 to 80 would be good.

Since the target file size was removed from Handbrake, you can't just use that, but you can find references to spreadsheets in this thread that will let you calculate the bitrate needed for fitting the file at your target size.

SC
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

If it's an older iPad, drop the resolution to 1024 wide and drop the quality to maybe RF 25.
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

Thanks @ Smithcraft. I am playing with the spreadsheet now.

@mduell...I see where to reduce the quality to RF 25, but not resolution? I'll keep looking thanks.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

bpwhistler wrote:Thanks @ Smithcraft. I am playing with the spreadsheet now.

@mduell...I see where to reduce the quality to RF 25, but not resolution? I'll keep looking thanks.
Picture window.