READ ME / POST HERE if a specific DVD/Movie won't rip

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
amake

Post by amake »

kevinbal wrote:Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time with disc 2 and 4 of the Simpsons season 10. 1 and 3 worked fine, but 2 and 4 just flat out crash both handbrake and mtr when trying to read the disc.

Think its copy issues or could they just be bad discs and I should return to Best Buy and try again? If anyone else is having problems, should probably get added to the list.
I have the exact same problem--discs 1 and 3 ripped fine, but 2 and 4 crash Handbrake and Mac The Ripper. I was also wondering if my discs were bad, but I think we can rule that out now.
kevinbal

Post by kevinbal »

Yup, confirmed. I just returned the set and bought a new one. Same exact problem. I haven't been able to get anything to work. MTR, Fairmount, Handbrake... I even turned on the PC and made copies using DVDFab and even tried encoding using DVDfab. Nothing is working.
MichaelLAX

Post by MichaelLAX »

kevinbal wrote:Yup, confirmed. I just returned the set and bought a new one. Same exact problem. I haven't been able to get anything to work. MTR, Fairmount, Handbrake... I even turned on the PC and made copies using DVDFab and even tried encoding using DVDfab. Nothing is working.
Being a Moody Blues fan, I am trying to strip out the Ned Flanders episode 3 on Season 10, Disc 2 to move to my Apple TV and nothing works for me either: including a DVD Player to DVD Recorder thru the analog ports, which I have used on SONY's in the past (must be Macrovision encoded for the analog hole).
roguedementor

sailor moon

Post by roguedementor »

i have a copy of sailor moon s that is japanese. its in ntsc, and it says it supports all regions, but sometimes handbrake won't recognize it. i've ripped five episodes successfully, but then a few hours later it would read 'no title found'. what should i do?
bhirt

Post by bhirt »

kevinbal wrote:Yup, confirmed. I just returned the set and bought a new one. Same exact problem. I haven't been able to get anything to work. MTR, Fairmount, Handbrake... I even turned on the PC and made copies using DVDFab and even tried encoding using DVDfab. Nothing is working.
I have the exact same problem, but also good news. It seems that HB and MTR are crashing on the scanning of the disc. It appears the discs have some wonkey mastering, but I don't think it's copy protection. Anyway, here is what I did to successfully rip/encode. In MTR, turn Pre Scan off in preferences and you will be able to rip. Once you have ripped, you still cannot use the HB GUI because there is no way to disable the scanning. CLI to the rescue. Download the command line HB and you can rip each title individually. Trying to rip the entire disc in the CLI will crash too, so you have to do it once for each title. Here is the what I used to encode, you may want to use different options.

Code: Select all

/Application/HandBrakeCLI --input SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E1.mp4 \
       --title 1 --vb 1500 --two-pass --deinterlace --aencoder faac --encoder x264b30 --mixdown dpl2 \
       --width 624 --height 480 --ab 160 --arate 48
/Applications/HandBrakeCLI --input SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E2.mp4 \
       --title 2 --vb 1500 --two-pass --deinterlace --aencoder faac --encoder x264b30 --mixdown dpl2 \
/Applications/HandBrakeCLI --input SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E3.mp4 \
        --title 3 --vb 1500 --two-pass --deinterlace --aencoder faac --encoder x264b30 --mixdown dpl2 \
/Applications/HandBrakeCLI --input SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E4.mp4 \
        --title 4 --vb 1500 --two-pass --deinterlace --aencoder faac --encoder x264b30 --mixdown dpl2 \
/Applications/HandBrakeCLI --input SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E5.mp4 \
        --title 5 --vb 1500 --two-pass --deinterlace --aencoder faac --encoder x264b30 --mixdown dpl2 \
/Applications/HandBrakeCLI --input SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E6.mp4 \
        --title 6 --vb 1500 --two-pass --deinterlace --aencoder faac --encoder x264b30 --mixdown dpl2 \
HandBrake is crashing in hb_dvd_title_scan, it appears there is an invalid pgn in the title structure and hand brake itsn't checking bounds and it's crashing at 162 in dvd.c
MichaelLAX

Post by MichaelLAX »

bhirt wrote:
kevinbal wrote:Download the command line HB and you can rip each title individually. Trying to rip the entire disc in the CLI will crash too, so you have to do it once for each title. Here is the what I used to encode, you may want to use different options.

/Applications/HandBrakeCLI --input SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E4.mp4 \
        --title 4 --vb 1500 --two-pass --deinterlace --aencoder faac --encoder x264b30 --mixdown dpl2 \
Great work! However, here is what I get when I try to rip Episode 4:

Here is my command line:

/Applications/HandBrake/HandBrakeCLI --input /users/--/Documents/SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E4.mp4 \

Here is the result:

HandBrake 0.8.5b1 (2007042001) - http://handbrake.m0k.org/
1 CPU detected
Opening /users/--/Documents/SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS...
Scanning title 4...
No title found.
HandBrake has exited.

Any idea why it is not working for me? Thanks!

PS: I ripped the original disc with MTR v3.0r-14 as suggested, and I also tried it with Episode 1, but with the same result.
dbendixen
Enlightened

Post by dbendixen »

Anyone else having trouble getting to Ripdifferent.com to see the MTR forums? I'd like to see about getting involved in the beta program, even it means donating. However, I can't access the site. It seems to be down or something.

Also, has anyone found a definitive solution to copying these DVDs that won't copy?
dbendixen
Enlightened

Post by dbendixen »

I believe the Shawshank Redemption needs to be added to this list, unless someone else can confirm it works in HB.

Strange though because it ripped fine and burned fine, but the ripped/burned copy won't work in Handbrake, it crashes it.
baggss

Post by baggss »

rdbendixen wrote:I believe the Shawshank Redemption needs to be added to this list, unless someone else can confirm it works in HB.

Strange though because it ripped fine and burned fine, but the ripped/burned copy won't work in Handbrake, it crashes it.
I ripped Shawshank Redemption directly from the DVD with both HB 0.7.1 and 0.8B1 and it worked fine both times. If you are having issues with a copy you made from a HB rip, it's not the movie but more likely your DVD burner.
MichaelLAX

Simpsons S10 D2

Post by MichaelLAX »

I gave up on this disc.

Since I only needed one episode, I pulled out my old Belkin USB VideoBus II and played the output of my DVD Player into my Mac in realtime, and transcoded the result to H.264.
zubbazoo

Simpsons Season 10

Post by zubbazoo »

MichaelLAX wrote:
kevinbal wrote:Download the command line HB and you can rip each title individually. Trying to rip the entire disc in the CLI will crash too, so you have to do it once for each title. Here is the what I used to encode, you may want to use different options.

Great work! However, here is what I get when I try to rip Episode 4:

Here is my command line:

/Applications/HandBrake/HandBrakeCLI --input /users/--/Documents/SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E4.mp4 \

Here is the result:

1 CPU detected
Scanning title 4...
No title found.
HandBrake has exited.

Any idea why it is not working for me? Thanks!

PS: I ripped the original disc with MTR v3.0r-14 as suggested, and I also tried it with Episode 1, but with the same result.
I had the same problem, I even got Amazon to replace my copy before reading this thread. I followed the instructions here using the Handbrake CLI and everything worked fine. I did the following:

1. Copy the VIDEO_TS folder to my HD using Fairmount (skipping this I got errors like what you described)
2. Point HandbrakeCLI at the copied VIDEO_TS folder

Looks like you had already copied the VIDEO_TS to your HD, did you just copy it directly? For some reason Fairmount solved the problem for me.

I've now got all of Season 10 in iTunes and just need to get them on my iPhone! (I used iSquint to get them down around 60MB per episode)
yosarian

Post by yosarian »

I am having a slightly different problem. I was able to rip a copy of Children of Men successfully with MTR r14d, however, when I try converting it in HB, it begins to read the folder with the ripped vobs and then the application just crashes. I have tried it several other times and it keeps happening.

Any suggestions on a work around or possible fix?
mikaellund

Re: what about for PC?

Post by mikaellund »

myronaiii wrote:Does anyone know a work around this using any program and then HB for windows?
DVDfab HD decrypter hasn't failed yet and is free. It also works fine on a mac using VMware.

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
MichaelLAX

Post by MichaelLAX »

bhirt wrote:I have the exact same problem, but also good news. It seems that HB and MTR are crashing on the scanning of the disc. It appears the discs have some wonkey mastering, but I don't think it's copy protection. Anyway, here is what I did to successfully rip/encode. In MTR, turn Pre Scan off in preferences and you will be able to rip. Once you have ripped, you still cannot use the HB GUI because there is no way to disable the scanning. CLI to the rescue. Download the command line HB and you can rip each title individually. Trying to rip the entire disc in the CLI will crash too, so you have to do it once for each title. Here is the what I used to encode, you may want to use different options.

/Application/HandBrakeCLI --input SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E1.mp4 \
       --title 1 --vb 1500 --two-pass --deinterlace --aencoder faac --encoder x264b30 --mixdown dpl2 \
/Applications/HandBrakeCLI --input SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E2.mp4 \
       --title 2 --vb 1500 --two-pass --deinterlace --aencoder faac --encoder x264b30 --mixdown dpl2 \
/Applications/HandBrakeCLI --input SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E3.mp4 \
        --title 3 --vb 1500 --two-pass --deinterlace --aencoder faac --encoder x264b30 --mixdown dpl2 \
/Applications/HandBrakeCLI --input SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E5.mp4 \
        --title 5 --vb 1500 --two-pass --deinterlace --aencoder faac --encoder x264b30 --mixdown dpl2 \
/Applications/HandBrakeCLI --input SIMPSONS_S10_D2/VIDEO_TS -o SIMP_S10_D2_E6.mp4 \
        --title 6 --vb 1500 --two-pass --deinterlace --aencoder faac --encoder x264b30 --mixdown dpl2 \
I want to try your method (HandBrake CLI) on the Moulin Rouge 2-disc set, which also crashes HandBrake on initial scan. What methodology did you use to come up with the individual instructions to rip each title? Thanks.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

yosarian wrote:I am having a slightly different problem. I was able to rip a copy of Children of Men successfully with MTR r14d, however, when I try converting it in HB, it begins to read the folder with the ripped vobs and then the application just crashes. I have tried it several other times and it keeps happening.

Any suggestions on a work around or possible fix?
Did you do a full disk rip with mtr ? I have done this one several times with a full disk rip and had no problems with HB.

Never do a main feature rip with mtr and try to feed it to HB. it will almost certainly fail.
ultra0

Post by ultra0 »

I couldn't rip the Carl Sagan TV show COSMOS. Only one of the titles would show up in HB. I had to use the new MTR 3.0 r14 to grab the additional titles.

I've heard others have had the same problem.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

If you're trying to rip the title "Blues for the Red Planet", complain to the DVD manufacturer. It's a horrible, horrible mastering error.

Rodney
ultra0

Post by ultra0 »

Well there are two episodes per disc (6 discs total). When you pop a disc in, neither HB or MTR would recognize the second episode. Only the new MTR beta.

I hadn't notice anything specifically wrong with the Blues For a Red Planet title. What is supposed to be wrong with? Bad transfer?
baggss

Re: Simpsons Season 10

Post by baggss »

zubbazoo wrote:
I had the same problem, I even got Amazon to replace my copy before reading this thread. I followed the instructions here using the Handbrake CLI and everything worked fine. I did the following:

1. Copy the VIDEO_TS folder to my HD using Fairmount (skipping this I got errors like what you described)
2. Point HandbrakeCLI at the copied VIDEO_TS folder

Looks like you had already copied the VIDEO_TS to your HD, did you just copy it directly? For some reason Fairmount solved the problem for me.

I've now got all of Season 10 in iTunes and just need to get them on my iPhone! (I used iSquint to get them down around 60MB per episode)
Not much of a CLI junky myself. I tried using the GUI with the above and it flopped just like the DVD. MTR and DVD2OneX wouldn't even look at the Video_TS folder that I copied from the Fairmount Disc. Interestingly, the folks who make Fairmount make another App called DVDRemaster, that will rip the Fairmount Video_TS folder to iPod format. Gives you high quality and normal quality options etc. Not as customizable as HB, but it works. Demo version gives you the DVDRemaster logo in the corner, but I can live with it. I'll probably end up buying this App ($49.99 for the Pro version) for those "Hard to Rip" DVDs.

EDIT: In the end I ended up buying DVDRemasterPro. I used HB for The Simpsons Season 10 Discs 1 & 3 and DVDRemasterPro for Disc 2 & 4 (after using Fairmount to get them on my Hard Drive). Seems like a decent combination, DVDRPs quality isn't quite as good as HBs but it gets the job done when HB (GUI), MTR and DVD2OneX all fail.
Deleted User 792

Post by Deleted User 792 »

1 CPU detected
Scanning title 4...
No title found.
HandBrake has exited.
I am getting the same thing, any ideas yet? it sitts there "scanning" for a while then it displays no title found. It is ripped to my hd via latest MTR 3.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

ultra0 wrote:I hadn't notice anything specifically wrong with the Blues For a Red Planet title. What is supposed to be wrong with? Bad transfer?
Loss of audio sync towards the end of the title during one of the on-Mars rover shots that never recovers.

Rodney
whiteelephant

Post by whiteelephant »

Disc 2 of Prince Of The City doesn't work. However, disc 1 is fine - so you can get half a movie.
Brenkenathan

The Condemned

Post by Brenkenathan »

Im getting the following message in the activity monitor when I try to rip The Condemned. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I would greatly appreciate if anyone could helpe me fix this. Thank you !:)

x264 [info]: slice I:4 Avg QP:17.50 size: 7947 PSNR Mean Y:62.63 U:67.14 V:65.88 Avg:63.46 Global:51.87
x264 [info]: slice P:545 Avg QP:20.91 size: 11274 PSNR Mean Y:51.77 U:57.15 V:56.97 Avg:52.78 Global:43.64
x264 [info]: slice B:317 Avg QP:20.69 size: 1646 PSNR Mean Y:66.29 U:70.58 V:70.60 Avg:67.03 Global:44.86
x264 [info]: mb I I16..4: 78.4% 0.0% 21.6%
x264 [info]: mb P I16..4: 11.0% 0.0% 7.2% P16..4: 21.1% 12.3% 6.6% 0.0% 0.0% skip:41.9%
x264 [info]: mb B I16..4: 0.4% 0.0% 0.3% B16..8: 10.6% 0.8% 1.7% direct: 1.5% skip:84.7%
x264 [info]: final ratefactor: 19.36
x264 [info]: ref P 86.6% 13.4%
x264 [info]: ref B 91.8% 8.2%
x264 [info]: SSIM Mean Y:0.9874395
x264 [info]: PSNR Mean Y:57.133 U:62.111 V:62.001 Avg:58.043 Global:44.066 kb/s:1483.50
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

tbh, that is just the x264 encoder reporting the results of your rip afaik. Not an error message. Does the final output work okay ?
Brenkenathan

Post by Brenkenathan »

It only rips for about 45 seconds then it says it is complete. Movie does not come out at all. Ive tried some variations of settings and even tried a different movie. I am not sure where the issue would be. Disk is brand new.