How to rip a dvd on iMac running 10.8.2

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
captgadget

How to rip a dvd on iMac running 10.8.2

Post by captgadget »

I inserted the dvd in the iMac. Opened Handbrake. Went to source. Then I get two files Audio_TS Video_TS. Now what do I do? Rip each one of them and if so how do I get them together to make the movie?
kfreeb
Novice

Re: How to rip a dvd on iMac running 10.8.2

Post by kfreeb »

You should use a ripping software such as MakeMKV, (free download) to create a file that has no protection, then use handbrake to encode the unprotected MKV file.

Trying to rip from the original disk with just handbrake, (that is usually protected with copy protection schemes) is not a good idea. That can cause all kinds of weird behavior in handbrake.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

DVD decryption, VLC 2.x and HandBrake

This should be fine for most discs, especially combined with title-specific scan. Though if you want to encode a lot of discs, I'd go with a dedicated ripper too, then HandBrake to re-encode if you want smaller files or target a specific device without DVD support.
baggss

Post by baggss »

captgadget wrote:I inserted the dvd in the iMac. Opened Handbrake. Went to source. Then I get two files Audio_TS Video_TS. Now what do I do? Rip each one of them and if so how do I get them together to make the movie?
Select the DVD in the HB Source window as you state above. You'll see the two files but don't select either. Simply click the OPEN button on the bottom of the Source Window and HB will scan the disc and find the most likely title of the Movie (assuming it is a movie) you are trying to rip. Once it finds it you select a preset (or make your own) and click START.

Most DVDs play nice and the title HB finds will be the Movie, some however don't play nice. If you run into a problem search the forum for further help.
Rodeo wrote:DVD decryption, VLC 2.x and HandBrake

This should be fine for most discs, especially combined with title-specific scan. Though if you want to encode a lot of discs, I'd go with a dedicated ripper too, then HandBrake to re-encode if you want smaller files or target a specific device without DVD support.
I have to ask, but why would I want to go to another ripper when HB will work just fine for the task the OP asked about?
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

Coz as Rodeo stated "If you want to encode a lot od discs"... You can pre-rip to HDD and set up a Handbrake processing queue overnight.
Last edited by GregiBoy on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baggss

Post by baggss »

GregiBoy wrote:Coz as Rodeo stated "If you want to encode alot od discs"... You can pre-rip to HDD and set up a Handbrake processing queue overnight.
Or you could just obtain multiple DVD drives....
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

When Handbrake if longer has access to those libraries, then what are you going to do? Or media formats that Handbrake will never be able to read?

Having a half of a dozen Bluray drives better than pre-ripping? I guess.

SC
baggss

Post by baggss »

Smithcraft wrote:When Handbrake if longer has access to those libraries, then what are you going to do? Or media formats that Handbrake will never be able to read?

Having a half of a dozen Bluray drives better than pre-ripping? I guess.

SC
All depends on your point of view I suppose. Everyone uses HB a bit differently, but none of the above concern me.