Mac Users; MetaX? Nope, try MetaZ!

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
baggss

Mac Users; MetaX? Nope, try MetaZ!

Post by baggss »

I discovered about 6 or 8 months ago that MetaX was dead for good. The Author got married, had a kid, found Jesus, got a life, blah blah blah, whatever...It's dead. No more updates.

Looks like some enterprising soul(s) have take up the code and renamed it "MetaZ" and moved it forward, well, at least more foreword that MetaX was being taken. Anyhow, works good, lasts long time, no crashes, searches faster and better than MetaX ever did, still uses Tag Chimp etc and is Native Intel. Check it out. Worth the effort.

Form their Website: "MetaZ is an mp4 meta-data editor for OS X.
It started its life when another great meta-data editor MetaX stopped getting updated, some of the web-services it used changed in ways that broke functionality and it had some really anoying (to us at least) little missing things like no proper window resizing. This lead to us starting MetaZ as a reimplementation of MetaX with a few ideas of our own sprinkled in there."

http://griff.github.com/metaz/

Not affiliated, just a fan....
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Mac Users; MetaX? Nope, try MetaZ!

Post by TedJ »

Nice find, baggss... and nice to see you again. :)
baggss

Post by baggss »

Thanks!

I figured I would stop by and say Hi. Lost a HDD with a TON of TV shows on it and although I was able to recover some data I've got a lot of ripping to do so it seemed like the appropriate time. :)
jeffbear

Post by jeffbear »

I havent tried this yet. Does anyone know if this will set the HD tag? That was the biggest gripe I had with MetaX.
baggss

Post by baggss »

I don't think so but you can probably put in a request and see what they say.
macg

Post by macg »

I used to be a big fan of MetaX. Now I only use iDentify. It's lightning fast and works every time. It's also supported and updated by Justin Pulsipher.

http://identify2.arrmihardies.com

It's available in the Mac App Store too. Worth every penny.
TNRich

Post by TNRich »

For movies I use MetaMovie and Subler. MetaMovie is really good at finding the needed info and artwork. Subler is great for getting at all the details of any movie file, particularly editing chapter info.

For TV shows I use MetaTV and Subler. MetaTV will group TV shows without regard to season, which I don't like. It gets the season correct, but they will not show up as individual seasons in iTunes (i.e. separate icons in iTunes or Apple TV, so that's where Subler Comes in. If chapters are not a concern I will run the episodes through MetaX. It is slow, but I like the way it allows me to easily edit multiple files exactly the way I want, with the exception of the fact that it screws up chapter markings. If MetaTV would allow the update to the "Show" tag, ala MetaX and Subler it would be perfect for working with TV shows. If you haven't tried MetaTV, it's worth a look.

Cheers from TN!
cortig

Post by cortig »

jeffbear wrote:I havent tried this yet. Does anyone know if this will set the HD tag? That was the biggest gripe I had with MetaX.
iFlicks does.
http://www.iflicksapp.com
It's shareware, but works really well.

Corentin
Heymbit

Post by Heymbit »

Subler can set the HD flag, and eve nest which HD flag (aka 1080p or 720p). It's also open source freeware and can do tags even iTunes hasn't implemented yet.

https://code.google.com/p/subler/
karmacoma

Post by karmacoma »

Subler is definitely the go-to app for MP4 tag editing on Mac. The Save Set feature is as close to batch editing as makes no odds, and each Set can even be applied by a keyboard shortcut.

I use nothing but this now. It's actively maintained, too.
davidosus

Post by davidosus »

Subler, MetaTV, and MetaMovie all get my vote, too. Indispensable when tagging for iTunes.
cortig

Post by cortig »

It would also be nice if handbrake could also preserve the metadata to start with :-/