Anyone get hi-res PSP videos to encode?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Dr. Strangepork

Anyone get hi-res PSP videos to encode?

Post by Dr. Strangepork »

I like the new version of Handbrake. Always a reliable tool and I was excited to hear there would be a PSP pre-set in 0.90.

However, it appears that the pre-set is only makes a standard low res PSP video (368x208). I was hoping to get a ful-res solution (480x272 the full res of the PSP's screen).

Using the PSP pre-set and bumping up the res in Picture Settings results in "unplayable" video.

Anyone try something else and get it to work on their PSP?

Thanks

Dr. SP
guyriley

Post by guyriley »

I've been using the new version myself w/ the Windows GUI, and I haven't been able to make a single video that will play on my PSP, fw 3.30 OE-A.

I'm new to HandBrake, so I'm going to keep playing around with different names, folders and encoding settings, but if anyone has something bulletproof with this newest version and could help me out a bit I'd be very grateful.
Dr. Strangepork

I'm using a Mac and was able to get the new pre-set to work but not anything at a higher resolution.
rsquires

Post by rsquires »

I did the same and no joy with 480 x 272. This is pretty much essential with the new firmware on the psp. I have made great stuff with ffmpegx. It looks flawless. My workflow was MPEG streamclip to rip the dvd then ffmpegx with hi res settings that I found on the web. Please can someone get this working as Handbrake seems like a nice quick encoder and one stop solution

regards

Richard
NKAWTG

psp hi-res encoding

Post by NKAWTG »

I've been able to make several. However, the preset won't work to accomplish this. First, you need to make sure that the video is encoded in AVC h.264 versus mp4 ffmpeg.

I'm in the process of trying the different versions in handbrake, but what I usually do is rip the psp version using ffmpegx. To get a movie to work, use the ipod h.264 640w preset, but change the video settings to 480x272. I also change the audio to a higher quality (although choose whatever you want). Under options, I select CABAC and trellis options, and keep the others as they are. I don't touch any other options, and actually leave the encoding profile as ipod. I've had this work everytime.

I'll post more after I test out some settings in handbrake to see if I can get the similar to work for the psp without ffmpegx.
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

There's a thread on the forum that explains how to do it:
http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
I've made several successful conversions with HandBrake. Basically, this is what I use (from the post by Shamroot):

encoder -> x264(main)
screensize -> 480x272
bitrate -> default (was 1000)
framerate: 25 (PAL content) or 29.97 (NTSC content)
advanced x264 options -> threads=1:level=21

You have to put these videos in the VIDEO folder on your memory stick, and there are no strict naming restrictions like before.

For video conversions other than from DVD source, I use VisualHub which has a preset for the new PSP firmware.
Dr. Strangepork

whimpers wrote:There's a thread on the forum that explains how to do it:
http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
I've made several successful conversions with HandBrake. Basically, this is what I use (from the post by Shamroot):

encoder -> x264(main)
screensize -> 480x272
bitrate -> default (was 1000)
framerate: 25 (PAL content) or 29.97 (NTSC content)
advanced x264 options -> threads=1:level=21

You have to put these videos in the VIDEO folder on your memory stick, and there are no strict naming restrictions like before.

For video conversions other than from DVD source, I use VisualHub which has a preset for the new PSP firmware.
Thanks Wimpers and everyone else who figured this out. DId some testing last night and it seems to work great for me! Whoo hoo!