Transcoding DVD source

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
brakestands
Novice

Transcoding DVD source

Post by brakestands »

Been using Handbrake forever. Just a sanity check here, as I'm re-encoding my whole library to High Profile preset, now that I've got the AppleTV3. The question is in regards to DVD sources - do I need to add "Detelecine" like it used to be there in addition to the default of Decomb in High Profile preset, when ripping DVD's??? I know I can safely turn off Decomb when ripping Blu-ray source material, because it's progressive already, but for a straight 480i source like an old-fashioned DVD, shouldn't I also be turning Deinterlace to 'Default' in addition to using the Decomb that is automatically enabled in High Profile? I seem to recall that in older versions of HB, they were both on by default. Again, I mainly view on an AppleTV3 or via Air Video Server/client when I'm traveling. Thanks very much for the help.
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Transcoding DVD source

Post by TedJ »

No. Think of deinterlace as being decomb that is always active, rather than on frames which have visible interlacing (i.e. combing) artefacts.

Detelecine should be OK to use for NTSC DVDs... it was disabled by default in the latest iteration of the High Profile preset because it occasionally choked on broken telecined material found in some PAL sources.
brakestands
Novice

Post by brakestands »

Thanks Ted. So if I have this right, I should use both Detelecine and Decomb for any NTSC DVD's. I recall that used to be the default behavior for most presets in the older versions of HB anyway. I don't use any PAL DVD's.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

That's correct. Decomb plus detelecine were active in the High Profile preset prior to the release of HandBrake 0.9.6.