Only got half the movie...

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
plastacine

Only got half the movie...

Post by plastacine »

I tried ripping THE CORE dvd (code 1). It's a 2 hr show but I only get 1 hr of it. I tried ripping it again, same result, halfway thru, it starts "muxing".
Mercury Glitch

Post by Mercury Glitch »

How are you encoding it?

Are you doing it from the DVD or did you rip it using MacTheRipper?

If it's from the DVD make sure the DVD isn't scratched up, and plays all the way through.

If it's from an MTR rip make sure the output plays all the way through.
GreekGuy

Post by GreekGuy »

The same thing happened to me and I found that there was actually a scratch (or dirt) where the problem occurred. Fork just quits out and keeps the DVD up to where the problem occurs. The way I found it was I played the DVD through DVD player and right at that point, the DVD player quit out and gave me the message about how the disk is scratched or dirty. I then reloaded the movie up through the good chapters off the standard format, then in a second pass, loaded the remaining chapters off the widescreen version. Not sure if it'll work, but it should, just the annoyance of the interruption. I should have just loaded the widescreen, duhhhhh--stoopid me.
noved
Novice

Post by noved »

fwiw, I can personally attest to importance of making sure your DVD is as clean and smug/scratch free as possible. I've encountered read errors before, and scratched DVDs that give players and MTR/MediaFork problems. All a typical MO for problems ripping DVDs. But recently, I spent hours trying to work through a ripping problem with an episode of House MD that turned out to be a very small dirty spot on the DVD. Smaller than I would have ever thought could cause faulty data in the data stream. But I learned my lesson.

The DVD ripped fine with MacTheRipper and 3 of the 4 titles converted with MediaFork just fine. But encoding the one troubled title kept resulting in the .mp4 (H264 encoded) file ending just after 30 mins into the episode. MediaFork would politely say it was "done" encoding after only 30 mins. No crash, no errors in logs, nothing. But when I played the .VOB in vlc, it played through all 44 mins of the episode just fine.

So I figured I just had a hairy copy protection problem to work around. I used ffmpegX to demux the original .VOB to get the *.m2v and *.ac3 video and audio files, respectively. Both had 44 mins of run length in them. So why was MediaFork not encoding all 44 mins? So I convereted the demux data into a QuickTime .mov file (using ffmpeg). At just over 30 mins, video went away and only audio continued. When I went to just over 30 mins in the demuxed *.m2v stream, I caught one frame of video that was heavily pixelated. The before and after frames were fine. This pixelated frame was in the middle of a scene. After finding that scene in the original VOB from the original DVD, it became clear the scene data wasn't split across two VOBs at that point in the timecode. Whatever the result, this one pixelated frame was enough for MediaFork to silently think it was done encoding with the input stream.

I ejected the DVD and carefully looked at it again. There was one very little smear (partial fingerprint, whatever) remaining on an otherwise pristine DVD. (This is a new DVD; fresh out of the box from Amazon.) After cleaning that spot off, I used MTR 3.0r14 to rip the entire DVD again. Then used MediaFork to encode that one specific title. No errors ripping. No errors encoding. The title (episode) encoded all 44 mins without a problem.

Prior to this experience, I would have thought a spotted or scratched DVD would have given me more obvious problems. Crashing MTR, MediaFork and/or HandBrake. This was a very subtle problem that caused me hours.

At a low level, this kind of problem could easily be a result of how different DVD drives perform their read/CRC checks/etc and report them up through the OS to programs like MTR and MediaFork). Another drive out there might have detected the smug and possible data loss better and saved me a lot of time.

The morale I learned from this is that the hours you can easily spend trying to pull apart the VOBs to work around a troubled DVD, can possibly be avoided by making sure the physical DVD is as clean and pristine as possible. Just because your player, VLC, MacTheRipper, and MediaBrake don't report any problems reading the original DVD data, it doesn't mean the data was ripped accurately. Keep those DVDs clean.