h.264 (Main) Not working on PS3

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
kilofox

h.264 (Main) Not working on PS3

Post by kilofox »

I have tried files with and without "rebadging" them with QT Pro. No success.

Am I missing something? PS3 support AVC Main Profile correct? So Mediafork should work right?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: h.264 (Main) Not working on PS3

Post by jbrjake »

kilofox wrote:I have tried files with and without "rebadging" them with QT Pro. No success.

Am I missing something? PS3 support AVC Main Profile correct? So Mediafork should work right?
Well, I remember reading that rebadging like that worked for someone else...weird.

Ah yes, here's the thread: http://mediafork.dynalias.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86

If it doesn't work now, it means we've lost some functionality along the way... Can you confirm whether or not it works with HandBrake 0.7.1?
kilofox

h.264 iPod Works... with Rebadging

Post by kilofox »

I read that thread... and did a test file using the h.264 iPod Profile with rebadging in QT. Those files worked.

What is weird is that Visual Hub works fine using the x.264 encoder (same one Mediafork uses?) with ffmpeg flag "-level 40", which if I am not mistaken is the AVC Main Profile.

ffmpex also works using Main Profile.

Both Visual Hub and ffmpex dont need QT rebadging either.

I would rather use Mediafork as I like the interface better.

I was never able to use any of the Handbrake versions (non-beta) on the PS3 even if I rebadged them with QT Pro.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: h.264 iPod Works... with Rebadging

Post by jbrjake »

kilofox wrote:I read that thread... and did a test file using the h.264 iPod Profile with rebadging in QT. Those files worked.
Curious...
kilofox wrote:What is weird is that Visual Hub works fine using the x.264 encoder (same one Mediafork uses?) with ffmpeg flag "-level 40", which if I am not mistaken is the AVC Main Profile.
No, level is different from profile. Profile is what codec features are enabled, level is more of a limit to bitrates and picture sizes. Check the AVC wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Levels

You'll be able to set a level like that (level=40) in the preferences of our next beta. Right now we default to level 51 (the x264 default), while iPod uses level 30. That's probably why the iPod encoding worked on the PS3.

VisualHub does things differently. They use ffmpeg for everything, which means their x264 could easily be older/newer than ours. I know ffmpeg by default has x264 set up...uniquely.
kilofox wrote:Both Visual Hub and ffmpex dont need QT rebadging either.
Interesting. We'll have to check out what their headers look like in comparison to ours.
kilofox wrote:I was never able to use any of the Handbrake versions (non-beta) on the PS3 even if I rebadged them with QT Pro.
Very odd. Seemed to work for mk2000...