Keeping DVD Menus

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jack963

Keeping DVD Menus

Post by jack963 »

Hi,

I ripped a DVD earlier today to my hard drive using MacTheRipper, and then encoded the files to .avi using HandBrake. Is there any way to use HandBrake to compress the video files and still preserve the DVD's menu system?

Thanks for the help!
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

This has nothing to do with HandBrake. None of the supported containers support a menuing system (this includes AVI).

Rodney
jack963

Post by jack963 »

Ok, thanks!
saintdev
Enlightened

Post by saintdev »

rhester wrote:This has nothing to do with HandBrake. None of the supported containers support a menuing system (this includes AVI).

Rodney
MP4 does. Matroska does.
However it would be near impossible to copy over the menus from the dvd with HandBrake's current structure.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Really? What container does DivX use (beyond AVI)? As far as I knew, it was the only solution that purported to do this, and never delivered.

Rodney
saintdev
Enlightened

Post by saintdev »

rhester wrote:Really? What container does DivX use (beyond AVI)? As far as I knew, it was the only solution that purported to do this, and never delivered.

Rodney
DivX Media Format according to Wikipedia. Which is just an extension of AVI using hacks similar to the ones already in use by everyone else.