Handbrake, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and system sleep

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Nikhil Bhagwat

Handbrake, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and system sleep

Post by Nikhil Bhagwat »

I use the software a lot. I'm currently running Mac OS X Snow Leapord. Was thinking of upgrading to Mountain Lion. But I refrrained from doing so. This is because, the software doesn't support Mountain Lion. Please can the software have an update that supports this new OS?
Deleted User 11865

Re: Handbrake support for Mountain Lion

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake 0.9.8 works just fine under OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. No need for a specific update.

http://roaringapps.com/app:298

Edit: to prevent your Mac from sleeping while HandBrake is encoding, you can set your Mac to never sleep, or you can use a 3rd-party app like Caffeine.

At some point in the future, this will no longer be necessary, but I have some more things I want to do before I look into fixing this issue.
Mackan

Post by Mackan »

Actually, there is a serious problem in Mountain Lion. The OS will go to sleep while you are encoding/ripping, unless Handbrake is updated to support so called 'power assertions', essentially telling the OS it should not go to sleep while the program is running.

I suffered from this last night, after upgrading to Mountain Lion. I left Handbrake on during the night for an encode, but my MacBook went to sleep after 15 min... pausing Handbrake. Fair to say I was very annoyed to see the whole night being wasted for my encode. My downloads were paused as well. Overall, the system goes to sleep no matter if wifi or disk activity is going on.

So, to conclude, Handbrake needs an update to handle the aggressive sleep issues in Mountain Lion. It seems Apple wants us to suffer until all apps we use are updated?

And just to clarify: This issue did of course not exist in Lion. Nor does it help to set the system sleep to 'never'. Goes to sleep rather soon anyway.
hjo20

Post by hjo20 »

Yep I also experienced serious problems after installing Mountain Lion. Did not realize it was the sleeping function but after reading Mackan's post I did some searching and found a temporary solution that seems to work. Before starting your Handbrake queue, open a Terminal window and type

caffeinate -u -t 7200

(this is a new terminal command in Mountain Lion to deal with its aggressive sleep function, where 7200 is the number of seconds you want to keep your Mac awake)

Keep the terminal window open and start your handbrake queue... and ting, put that cocktail down!
Deleted User 11865

We will fix this eventually.
Ripping Jack

Re: Handbrake, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and system sleep

Post by Ripping Jack »

Annoying, but in the meantime I presume setting computer sleep to "never" while ripping will work? You can still let your display sleep.
Deleted User 11865

Ripping Jack wrote:Annoying, but in the meantime I presume setting computer sleep to "never" while ripping will work? You can still let your display sleep.
It should work, yes.
Ripping Jack

Post by Ripping Jack »

Rodeo wrote:
Ripping Jack wrote:Annoying, but in the meantime I presume setting computer sleep to "never" while ripping will work? You can still let your display sleep.
It should work, yes.
Logical as it seems, no such luck. Gonna try unchecking "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" and see if that makes any difference ...

EDIT: Scratch that, just had an incomplete rip while the system was still awake. Wondering if the problem is with HandBrake itself ...
Ripping Jack

Post by Ripping Jack »

After browsing the forums, my problem seems similar to this and this.
Gloomy50

Post by Gloomy50 »

I was having the same issue. After update on Mtn Lion rips would end when my Mac went to sleep. I installed Caffine, a free app available in the Mac app store. Once installed I activated it to not let my Mac sleep. Since then all rips have been complete. It is a handy app for whenever you want your Mac to not sleep. Hope this helps.
Deleted User 11865

Thanks for the suggestion.
tterevelytnom

Post by tterevelytnom »

I'm not having issues with my iMac sleeping, it's completely rebooting whenever I use Handbrake. I am on OSX Mountain Lion 10.8 and even removed and re-downloaded Handbrake, but nothing changed, so any help would be appreciated.
tterevelytnom

Post by tterevelytnom »

So far, Caffeine is working, but I'd much prefer a program that doesn't need another to stay working. So, please let all of us know when Handbrake is ready for Mountain Lion and doesn't need caffeine.
Deleted User 11865

tterevelytnom wrote:I'm not having issues with my iMac sleeping, it's completely rebooting whenever I use Handbrake. I am on OSX Mountain Lion 10.8 and even removed and re-downloaded Handbrake, but nothing changed, so any help would be appreciated.
Like when the queue completes, or mid-encode?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

I personally am against HB controlling how the os works. Yes it sucks but ... caffeine was not created just because of HB. This obviously affects other programs. Imo its an os bug. Maybe look at it if they (apple) do not fix it.

Put bluntly: this is not in my view a Handbrake bug.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Yep, it's just as lame as the power management in Windows7.

SC
Lifeisabeach

Post by Lifeisabeach »

Rather than having to remember to use Caffeine while doing an encode, it's possible to use the caffeinate command in Terminal along with some strings to auto-launch Handbrake. For example:

Code: Select all

caffeinate -i & open -W -a HandBrake.app
That will "caffeinate" the system and then launch Handbrake. As that string is written, caffeinate will stay loaded until you quit that Terminal window. If you expect the queue to wrap up overnight or while away from the desk, then what you can do is use HandBrake's option to put the system to sleep as soon as the encode queue is done and quit that Terminal session yourself later.

You can get around keeping the Terminal window open by entering the command like this to have caffeinate run in the background:

Code: Select all

caffeinate -i & open -W -a HandBrake.app &
The downside to this is you have to kill the caffeinate process manually once you don't need it running anymore. If you are comfortable using the HandBrake CLI, then you could alternatively write a script to caffeinate the system; run an encode using the HandBrake CLI; then kill the caffeinate process afterwards with the killall command.
llamahunter

Post by llamahunter »

Hmm.. seems like this is a Handbrake issue, not an OS issue. If Handbrake does not want the system to sleep while it is working, it should participate in power management polling. If it doesn't care about being put to sleep, it should pick up where it left off and resume transcoding when the system awakes.

What it does right now, which is abort transcode when the system sleeps, is bad.

I would prefer it to prevent the system from sleeping (or at least have a configurable option for the same) while transcoding.

Richard
Deleted User 11865

You know, there are actually quite few of us.
If you want this fixed quicker, you need to either provide a patch or have someone do it on your behalf.

Otherwise you'll just have to wait until one of us decides to implement this.
jlacube

Post by jlacube »

Hi Rodeo,

I submitted a review request for patching this : https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/348/

Please let me know if it's ok, or you prefer to wait for some other options.

Cheers,

Jerome
Deleted User 11865

jlacube wrote:Hi Rodeo,

I submitted a review request for patching this : https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/348/

Please let me know if it's ok, or you prefer to wait for some other options.

Cheers,

Jerome
Awesome! I'll have a look at it when I have time.
IrishPrince

Post by IrishPrince »

Rodeo wrote:You know, there are actually quite few of us.
If you want this fixed quicker, you need to either provide a patch or have someone do it on your behalf.

Otherwise you'll just have to wait until one of us decides to implement this.
Just wondering if anyone had worked this into one of the nightly builds yet?
Thanks, -IP
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

If you check that link in the post above yours, it will take you to the patch discussion. The last activity was about a month ago, and it doesn't appear to be approved yet.

SC
Deleted User 11865

It's being worked on, but as Smithcraft pointed out, it's been stalled for a few weeks now.
jlacube

Post by jlacube »

Hi Everyone,

I just updated my review request with a new version of this feature.
Please review and let me know if it's better now.

J