1080p File size way to big

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ajiuo

1080p File size way to big

Post by ajiuo »

I was messing around with the Apple TV 3 profile in the nightly builds.

I am ripping the godfather blurry and the resulting file is 18GB. I know its a long movie but that still seems way to big. I looked on iTunes and they show the godfather 1080p as being 7.02GB witch seems much more reasonable.

Is there somthing I am doing wrong or is there some better settigns that I can use
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: 1080p File size way to big

Post by JohnAStebbins »

"better" is subjective. If you want smaller, then slide the quality slider to the left.
Flo
Bright Spark User

Post by Flo »

It's a fairly grainy movie. Have you tried using a mild denoise filter?
ajiuo

Post by ajiuo »

I want something similar in size to iTunes. I little bigger is ok... hopefully the final version of the ATV3 preset will be somewhere in the same ballpark as iTunes. over double the size of iTunes seems a bit excessive... but on a positive note the blue ray subtitles worked really well :)

yes the movie is a bit grainy. I don't want to use any filters though.. it might take away sharpness... you think they would have fixed that for a blue ray release... its not horrible though.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

iTunes has access to higher quality masters which you don't have access to. Your not going to match their results.
Secondly, they tend to compress their 1080p content a bit too much (to make downloads quicker) so it really doesn't look as good as it should. In otherwords, they could easily provide better quality at the expense of download times. That a trade off they've made. (Not a trade off we want to make)

If your not happy with the sizes, you can choose to sacrifice speed (use slower x264 settings, enable denoise for grainy sources) or quality (Use RF21 or 22, maybe 23/24 for really grainy sources)
Then save as your own preset.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

ajiuo wrote:I want something similar in size to iTunes. I little bigger is ok... hopefully the final version of the ATV3 preset will be somewhere in the same ballpark as iTunes.
Unlikely since we do not even try to duplicate settings used by iTunes. Apple (or whoever they hire to do their encoding) has the advantage of having access to high quality digital sources. The settings you would use on such sources are going to be different than what you would use on consumer grade sources. Also, we tend to lean more toward creating output with consistent quality and don't generally give size much consideration. If you want smaller files, you will have to sacrifice quality in some way.
over double the size of iTunes seems a bit excessive... but on a positive note the blue ray subtitles worked really well :)
When doing constant quality encoding, the size is *highly* dependent on the source material. Some things will be larger. Some will be smaller. It's just the nature of the beast.
yes the movie is a bit grainy. I don't want to use any filters though.. it might take away sharpness... you think they would have fixed that for a blue ray release... its not horrible though.
TANSTAFL. If you want smaller files, you will be sacrificing quality. Smoothing things out a bit is sometimes more visually pleasing than the encoding artifacts you will get by simply lowering the quality setting as I suggested earlier.
ajiuo

Post by ajiuo »

got ya... I will do a few various movies and see what kind of size I am getting... The godfather does look really good :)