Maximum resolution

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
dwear

Maximum resolution

Post by dwear »

Hi guys,

I wondered if someone could tell me the maximum resolution that MediaFork can output a video at?

I'm looking for a solution that allows me to rip a DVD direct to MP4 to watch back on my iMac. Looking through the forum, i get the feeling that MediaFork is designed specifically to be used with a video iPod.

Is the output file quality enough to be viewed on a larger screen?

Many thanks in advance.

Dwear
baggss

Post by baggss »

If you follow the Movie tutorial in my signature, you'll get good looking video and a good file size as well.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Maximum resolution

Post by jbrjake »

dwear wrote:I wondered if someone could tell me the maximum resolution that MediaFork can output a video at?
The GUI application outputs a maximum of 720*480 (in anamorphic mode, for anamorphic movies with a 1.78:1 aspect ratio). This is the same size as the image on a DVD.

The CLI can output any dimensions you so desire. Of course, when you go above 720*480, you're going to be zooming the image bigger than its natural size.
dwear wrote:I'm looking for a solution that allows me to rip a DVD direct to MP4 to watch back on my iMac. Looking through the forum, i get the feeling that MediaFork is designed specifically to be used with a video iPod.
Actually, MediaFork/HandBrake was specifically designed for playback on a computer, not a handheld video device like an iPod. That was tacked on much later. As long as you don't choose x264 (iPod) encoding, and stick with any of the others including x264 (Main), your output will be geared for playback on a computer like your iMac.
dwear

Post by dwear »

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the replys.

Best,
dwear