How to Add Subtitles From a Blu-Ray?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Maverickmusic

How to Add Subtitles From a Blu-Ray?

Post by Maverickmusic »

I am converting a Blu-Ray movie into a .mkv and then feeding the .mkv into Handbrake for my Apple TV, but there are foreign language scenes that I would like to add subtitles, from the Blu-Ray disc, to my final .m4v file. What is the simplest way to do so? I know that I need to burn in my subtitles into the actually movie but how do I go about doing so? Is there a way to extract the subtitles that are playing on the Blu-Ray so I don't have to edit subtitles that I could find on Subtitle websites?
Abulia

Re: How to Add Subtitles From a Blu-Ray?

Post by Abulia »

No, you don't "have" to burn in subtitles. Handbrake and the ATV can handle soft and forced subtitles. You "can" burn them in, but you don't have to.

Blu-ray movies use PGS subtitles, which Handbrake does not recognize at this time. In general you need to:

Use Mkvtoolnix to identify the subtitle track in your .mkv
Use mkvextract to extract the PGS subtitles to a .sup file
Convert the PGS subtitles you extracted (.sup) into a format that Handbrake will read (.sub/.idx) -- I use BDSup2Sub (4.0.1) for this
Mux the new subs into your .mkv file (the .sub/.idx output) using Mkvtoolnix again
Process through Handbrake which will now see the subtitles

On the last step, in Handbrake, is where you can make the decision to force the subtitles or burn them in to the video. If you do the latter you're altering the video stream and it can't be undone (without a new re-encode). So be sure that's what you want.
Last edited by Abulia on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Maverickmusic

Post by Maverickmusic »

How do you MUX the subs into the .mkv? Which program do I use?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

mkvmerge GUI.
Abulia

Post by Abulia »

Maverickmusic wrote:How do you MUX the subs into the .mkv? Which program do I use?
Mkvtoolnix, the same one you use to identify the PGS subs. You can insert your .sup/.idx and have it mux you a new .mkv to process through Handbrake.

I edited my earlier post to hopefully make it a little clearer.
Maverickmusic

Post by Maverickmusic »

Awesome thank you so much for the help!
Maverickmusic

Post by Maverickmusic »

Okay so now that I have had some time to sit down and attempt to figure this out I have run into a problem, I was able to extract the subtitle I needed but it's in .sup format. So I need to convert that, right? But I am on a Mac and can't find a program that will convert the .sup into the file type that I am supposed to feed into MKVtoolnix. Is there a program for Macs that can convert this file?
Abulia

Post by Abulia »

Maverickmusic wrote:Okay so now that I have had some time to sit down and attempt to figure this out I have run into a problem, I was able to extract the subtitle I needed but it's in .sup format. So I need to convert that, right? But I am on a Mac and can't find a program that will convert the .sup into the file type that I am supposed to feed into MKVtoolnix. Is there a program for Macs that can convert this file?
As indicated above, you use BDSup2Sub. Behold the power of Google...located here.