3 audio tracks, DTS, PCM, and AC3

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
leon

3 audio tracks, DTS, PCM, and AC3

Post by leon »

I just bought the DVD from Queen's "A Night At The Opera" ...

The DVD features three audio tracks, DTS 5.1, PCM 24 bit stereo, and AC3 2-channel commentary (stereo).

HB with the iPod preset shows the PCM and AC3 channels (I didn't expect to be able to do anything useful with the DTS 5.1 audio, so it's fine by me that it doesn't show up).

So what I want is PCM 24 bit stereo converted to basic 2-channel stereo (I don't want the commentary track). There are two choices. The PCM 24 bit is pretty obvious, so that's what I chose.

Unfortunately, HB just turns the PCM 24-bit stereo audio into static.
Any suggestions?

I swear, what HB is doing sounds akin to when I take one of my DTS encoded CD's (not DVD's) and try to play tracks in QT, but I haven't put the system volume at 100%. Makes me wonder if HB has found the DTS track and is trying to encode it instead of the PCM 24-bit stereo track. But what do I know? :-D

Cheers!
\Leon
leon

Re: 3 audio tracks, DTS, PCM, and AC3

Post by leon »

Per below...

I'm happy to loan the DVD to a developer so they can tell me what I (or HB) is doing wrong... Please advise.

leon wrote:I just bought the DVD from Queen's "A Night At The Opera" ...

The DVD features three audio tracks, DTS 5.1, PCM 24 bit stereo, and AC3 2-channel commentary (stereo).

HB with the iPod preset shows the PCM and AC3 channels (I didn't expect to be able to do anything useful with the DTS 5.1 audio, so it's fine by me that it doesn't show up).

So what I want is PCM 24 bit stereo converted to basic 2-channel stereo (I don't want the commentary track). There are two choices. The PCM 24 bit is pretty obvious, so that's what I chose.

Any suggestions?

I swear, what HB is doing sounds akin to when I take one of my DTS encoded CD's (not DVD's) and try to play tracks in QT, but I haven't put the system volume at 100%. Makes me wonder if HB has found the DTS track and is trying to encode it instead of the PCM 24-bit stereo track. But what do I know? :-D

Cheers!
\Leon
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

leon wrote:The DVD features three audio tracks, DTS 5.1, PCM 24 bit stereo, and AC3 2-channel commentary (stereo).

Any suggestions?
The latest SVN tree (not the current public beta) has support for 16-bit LPCM, but to my knowledge, 24-bit LPCM is still not supported at this time.

Rodney
thehague

Post by thehague »

leon wrote:I just bought the DVD from Queen's "A Night At The Opera" ...

Any suggestions?

Cheers!
\Leon
I've encountered the exact same problem with the Pat Metheny Group's DVD "The Way Up - Live" (regretfully I've posted a separate question about it, as I didn't read yours before, see the topic "No audio choice"). Like your Queen DVD it contains DTS, Dolby Surround 5.1 (AC3) and Dolby Digital Stereo (LPCM). I'm not sure the LPCM is 24 bits as the cover doesn't state this. Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet. If I do, I'll let you know.
thehague

Post by thehague »

Finally, I found a workaround. What I found out is that the Stereo track turned out to be static (probably 24 bit). So what I did is this: I put the video through DVDShrink, removed all audio except for the Dolby Surround 5.1. The result went to my hd. Then I put it through HandBrake. Now it's playing fine on my iPod. I hope some others will benefit from this.