Preview encode using SRT file?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
icfantv

Preview encode using SRT file?

Post by icfantv »

If this has already been asked and answered, please point me in the right direction. I'm on a mac, but I think this is a platform-independent issue.

If not, I'm wondering if there's a way to add an SRT file in the subtitles section and then see the results of using that file in preview mode. I tried adding one and did not see my subtitles where I expected them (or at all, actually). I have not tried launching a full encode pass yet.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: Preview encode using SRT file?

Post by Smithcraft »

As far as I know - No. I might be out of the loop, but I believe Handbrake only plays with graphical subs, and not text subs.

SC
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

HandBrake will write the file to disk temporarily. You can always go and search for it in the Finder, and open it in QuickTime. It'll be in ~/Library/Application Support/HandBrake/Previews/####/preview_temp.m4v where ~ is your home directory and #### is a number.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The MacGUI nightly builds should display the first soft subtitle track (if any) in Live Preview.

That being said, the issue with SRT sources is that the timestamps are assumed to be from the first frame in the encode, rather than the first frame in the source (not sure whether this has been fixed yet or not).
icfantv

Post by icfantv »

Thanks guys. @Rodeo, I'll do a git pull and rebuild, it's been a while since I've updated anyway.

When you say soft subtitle track, do you mean from the SRT file or from the original video file? I've ripped a blu-ray to MKV and it's got the stubtitle track in there, I can see it with MP4Tools - but those tracks never seem show up in the listbox in the subtitle screen in Handbrake.

I'll try again with the latest when my build finishes. Thanks.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake doesn't support Blu-ray PGS subtitles yet.
icfantv

Post by icfantv »

oh bummer. well that ends this little experiment.

what if i encoded the MKV into an MP4 (for AppleTV) and then re-encoded it again with the subtitles? Would that work?