TV Shows and anamorphic?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Konstantin Prinz

TV Shows and anamorphic?

Post by Konstantin Prinz »

Hi,

I live in PAL land.

I'm about to rip SATC using appleTV preset. And that preset defaults to Anamorphic On. From the preview window it looks like anamorphic is ok to use. But really, are those TV shows on DVD anamorphic??? Or should I switch to 'Keep ascpect ratio'?

TIA,
Konstantin
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Well it depends on whether the dvd is anamorphic widescreen or not. And whether the tv series is presented in widescreen or not.

If the series is 4:3 then turn off anamorphic, but make sure you copy the x264 options because if you're using the last binary release it will lose them when you change any settings from the preset.
Konstantin Prinz

OK, so 4:3 no anamorphic, no matter what, right?

I switched to the latest SVN, wanted the control over the x264 options so bad! (And the addl language inactive feature!)
Konstantin Prinz

jbrjake wrote:If the series is 4:3 then turn off anamorphic, but make sure you copy the x264 options because if you're using the last binary release it will lose them when you change any settings from the preset.
One question regarding this, and I'd be thankful if you cold help me on this: If I want to use 2 pass, I loose all of the preset settings. How do I get 2pass (or 2pass turbo on first) into the preset?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

If you're using the latest svn, you shouldn't lose any settings from a preset when you modify.

And it's not that 4:3 != anamorphic; all dvds are anamorphic. It's just not worthwhile to do an anamorphic stretch on 4:3 content (stretching horizontally is good, but for 4:3 you have to stretch vertically and that's supposed to be bad), and in fact HB does not do it properly anyway. It will output at 720*480, but QuickTime will play it as 640*480. VLC will get it right--720*540.
Konstantin Prinz

I'm using yesterdays SVN and as soon as I check 2pass all x264 settings in the advanced tab are gone!