ipod preset creating files that won't transfer from itunes

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Fastfwd

ipod preset creating files that won't transfer from itunes

Post by Fastfwd »

I use handbrake 0.8.5b1(2007042301) on a mac mini intel. I am ripping the Live8 4 DVD set with mac the ripper and then converting with handbrake using the ipod preset. The only change I am making is putting 2-pass encoding and deinterlace.

The DVD1,2 and 3 won't transfer to the ipod
The DVD4 transfers and plays on the ipod

I was looking for the problem and found that DVD1,2,3 were resized to a width greater than 640. DVD4 was 640 wide exactly. So I redid DVD1 and forced the width to go down to 640.

2 interesting things happened:
1) the video height stayed the same even if keep aspect ratio was checked
2) the file will now transfer on the ipod, problem solved

Otherwise I love handbrake. Thanks for making this. If I may suggest some improvements:
- Add a way to rip tv series DVD to episodes to different files without having to manually go through all 4 titles.
- Maybe something like imdb where only the first person to rip a DVD would need to input the name and choose the right title. the others would get it automatically.

thanks
rhester
Veteran User

Re: ipod preset creating files that won't transfer from itun

Post by rhester »

Fastfwd wrote:Add a way to rip tv series DVD to episodes to different files without having to manually go through all 4 titles.
That requires a programmatic way for the application to guess what the user wants. It is, in short, not possible.
Fastfwd wrote:Maybe something like imdb where only the first person to rip a DVD would need to input the name and choose the right title. the others would get it automatically.
IMDB spends millions per year on their infrastructure as a commercial enterprise. We are not a commercial enterprise.

Rodney