MAC OSX Lion Question

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Larry987

MAC OSX Lion Question

Post by Larry987 »

First let me say that I am a heavy user of Handbrake...great tool. I also would like to upgrade from Snow Leopard to OS X Lion but it is my understanding that Handbrake (0.9.5 64 bit) is not working properly under Lion. Can anyone confirm if it is safe to upgrade and will Handbrake work properly?

Thank you in advance
uclajames

Re: MAC OSX Lion Question

Post by uclajames »

I'm on the regular 0.9.5 release on Lion. And I haven't had an issue yet. It does seem to sap a lot resources while it is running. The Activity Monitor says it using 170% of the CPU. So while it is running the rest of the computer is crazy slow. But I haven't had any actual crashes.
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

uclajames wrote:I'm on the regular 0.9.5 release on Lion. And I haven't had an issue yet. It does seem to sap a lot resources while it is running. The Activity Monitor says it using 170% of the CPU. So while it is running the rest of the computer is crazy slow. But I haven't had any actual crashes.
That's a feature, not a bug.
Subject22

Post by Subject22 »

I'm running HB on 10.7.2 and I have had one issue (I've posted a thread detailing it, but it hasn't appeared yet) but I found a workaround for that so no real problems.
uclajames wrote:I'm on the regular 0.9.5 release on Lion. And I haven't had an issue yet. It does seem to sap a lot resources while it is running. The Activity Monitor says it using 170% of the CPU. So while it is running the rest of the computer is crazy slow. But I haven't had any actual crashes.
It uses upwards of 350% on my machine and I have experienced no crashes and very little impact on the performance of other running apps. The actual percentage will vary with CPU, machine configuration and the load the system is currently under. As thompson said, that's a feature. The more processing power your computer has the more cycles Handbrake can throw at converting your file and the less time the process will take. In short, the bigger the number the better, though you may want to pause HB if you intend to run an app that will be taxing on your system (e.g.: a game or another media conversion tool).