How to tell which container was encoded?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ramparts

How to tell which container was encoded?

Post by ramparts »

I've been using Handbrake for a large DVD to MKV conversion job. I just realized that with at least one disc I used ".mkv" as the extension for the destination files but selected MP4 as the format. I'm not sure if I did this for any other discs, and I'm not sure how to tell. VLC doesn't seem to give any useful information since it seems like the video and audio is the same, only the container differs. How can I tell which container I used to encode a video?
Cavalicious

Re: How to tell which container was encoded?

Post by Cavalicious »

Why are you messing with the extensions?....choose the format and the extension changes. You can try MediaInfo or other media readers...
ramparts

Post by ramparts »

Cavalicious wrote:Why are you messing with the extensions?....choose the format and the extension changes. You can try MediaInfo or other media readers...
I was basing the naming on other files in the folder. When I select a file (say, S01E01.mkv) Handbrake only includes the name without the extension, so I have to put the extension back in by hand.

Thanks for the tip on mediainfo.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Are you sure it's not just OS X hiding the extension? Or if you look at the save path in the main window, it should show you the complete file name.

SC
ramparts

Post by ramparts »

Smithcraft wrote:Are you sure it's not just OS X hiding the extension? Or if you look at the save path in the main window, it should show you the complete file name.

SC
I'm not sure, it's too late now as the one file (as it turns out) which was encoded in MP4 I've since deleted and re-encoded in MKV. MediaInfo did the trick.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Oh well.

Not to knock Media Info, but you might also wanna try getting info on the file. The Get Info window should give the complete file name. Or indicate if the extension is hidden.

SC