Handbrake doesn't keep iMac awake during encode?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hamah

Handbrake doesn't keep iMac awake during encode?

Post by hamah »

It was my understanding from reading Ted's post here (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18091&p=83579&hilit=awake#p83579) that my iMac should stay awake until Handbrake is finished but this doesn't seem to be the case. If I set the energy saver preference tab to put the machine to sleep after a minute it will do so even in the middle of a job. I'd really like to set up a large batch job before going to bed and have it finished in the morning (and the iMac snoring softly) but I can't seem to get that to happen. Is there something I'm missing?
Deleted User 11865

Re: Handbrake doesn't keep iMac awake during encode?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

In Preferences > General, you can set the "When done" action to "Put Computer To Sleep".
hamah

Post by hamah »

Thank you. But the issue wasn't that the iMac would not go to sleep but that it went to sleep too early (before the encode was finished) and therefore would still be sitting partially through the 1st conversion in the batch when I awoke the machine in the morning.
Deleted User 11865

My post implicitly meant to disable automatic and/or scheduled sleep in your OS X preferences as well. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
hamah

Post by hamah »

ahhh... that makes sense then.

Ideally I'd like to have the iMac able to sleep if not busy encoding and not require it to stay awake unless put to sleep with a click of the mouse or by Handbrake invoking sleep. I don't suppose anyone knows of any way of doing that other than extending the inactivity-time-to-sleep past what would be the normal time required for a Handbrake batch job (say 4 hrs as an example)?
Deleted User 11865

These tips should prevent sleeping during a HandBrake encode: http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/21/temporar ... -sleeping/

I haven't tested this as I'm busy encoding right now, but hopefully they should not prevent forced sleep (i.e. as triggered manually or by HandBrake).
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

Do you have something like PleaseSleep installed? I've never had any issues with the default OS X sleep settings interfering with handbrake. Then again, my MBP also tends to refuse to go asleep regardless of what I'm running, so maybe I'm not the best test case.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I also have never had any problems with OS X based computers sleeping while transcoding with HB. However that is with 10.5 so maybe something is different now.

SC
atoxx

Post by atoxx »

This issue persists under 10.8, on 10.7 it worked but now the Mac goes to sleep over and over while encoding
Deleted User 11865

atoxx wrote:This issue persists under 10.8, on 10.7 it worked but now the Mac goes to sleep over and over while encoding
HandBrake isn't the only app that's affected, it seems. I've seen reports of a similar issue on the MakeMKV forums.

It appears Apple changed something in OS X 10.8.
Deleted User 11865

We'll try and fix this eventually, though.