Can't convert new dvd

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
alohala

Can't convert new dvd

Post by alohala »

Attempted to convert Waiting for Superman (rel 2/15/11 by Paramount) several times. It either crashes HB while scanning source, or converts a pixelated file.

There are many dummy titles but dvd player shows that it is playing title #30. After repeated problems with this dvd I deleted HB and reloaded newest version. HB auto selected RF 20for this download. First of all, it takes longer than any dvd to scan source. First try was over an hour. I was patient b/c I wanted to see if HB could overcome this new technology. HB typically reads a source in less than a min, or new dvds with dummy files in less than 5 min. After converting, the file could not be viewed b/c it was severely pixelated and the size was over 5gb. Retried converting at RF 22 to create smaller file size and HB Attempted last time and file was smaller but still severely pixelated. Also tried a Title Specific source scan (title #30) and HB crashed. This is the final attempt log when HB crashed after scanning dvd started.

Any ideas of how to get HB to convert new releases? If not possible will HB respond to this new technology with update?

*(removed activity window content and replaced with accurate activity log below)
Last edited by alohala on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alohala

Re: Can't convert new dvd

Post by alohala »

Another dvd won't convert. Below is the activity window info for a failed conversion of The Social Network. The file had a working soundtrack but severely pixelated video. Waiting for Superman and Social Network were easy to copy with Ripit. But Ripit doesn't allow for selecting different audio tracks.

Does anyone have recommendations of a program that will rip backups with selected subtitles and/or audio tracks?

By the way, the last version of HB converted the 1st release of The Social Network fine. That dvd did not have extra audio tracks. But, this failed conversion is using the extended 2-disk dvd of The Social Network using the newest version of HB. I'm going to revert to the old HB version and see if that makes a difference with converting.

[08:42:29] hb_init: checking cpu count
[08:42:29] hb_init: starting libhb thread
[08:42:29] macgui: Handbrake Version: 0.9.5 x86_64 (2011010300)
[08:42:32] macgui: hbInstances path to this instance: /Applications/HandBrake.app
[08:42:32] macgui: hbInstance found instance pidnum:3516 at path: /Applications/HandBrake.app
[08:42:32] macgui: hbInstance MATCH FOUND, our pidnum is:3516
[08:42:32] macgui: Pid for this instance:3516
[08:42:32] macgui: HBQueueController : My Pidnum is 3516
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

Have you tried using File >> Open Source (Title Specific), and putting in the Title you found from DVDPlayer.app?
alohala

Post by alohala »

Yes, I stated that above in the first post. I have attempted all available methods that I am aware of:
1) Full source scan
2) Title specific scan
3) libdvdnav
4) libdvdread
5) High RF and low RF settings
6) newest HB version
7) last HB version

It appears to be an encrypting issue. I have no idea how to read all that log code -I am grateful for HB developers and the Open Source community for being the trailblazers you are. I appreciate all feedback and suggestions. HB is my favorite software over all of the ripping programs. HB reliably converts 99% of my dvd collection.

BTW -Waiting for Superman has many dummy titles but Social Network doesn't have any (on the 2 disk copy). They have different distributors too.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Please provide a valid Activity Log; not one that has been cleared on relaunch.
The location of the Activity Log file on disk, as well as the location of individual encode logs, are indicated in the documentation (see the red banner).
alohala

Post by alohala »

Ok. Here is the Activity Log from the library. This log is for the last attempt at converting The Social Network alternate audio (commentary), which had some audible audio but a completely pixelated video. I will attempt to convert Waiting for Superman and post an accurate Activity Log when it's done.

*I posted the log in the pastebin labeled "dvd won't convert" and I don't know how to attach it here.

Thanks for your help!
Deleted User 11865

alohala wrote:*I posted the log in the pastebin labeled "dvd won't convert" and I don't know how to attach it here.
http://paste.handbrake.fr/pastebin.php?show=2203
Deleted User 11865

Does your optical drive's region match that of the DVD? Do you have another drive (maybe external) to try?
alohala

Post by alohala »

Both dvds are region 1, as is the optical drive. After upgrading to HB's latest version I made a few successful conversions including new releases. MacDVDRipper ripped a complete copy of the Social Network (including alt soundtracks) and Ripit did rip Waiting for Superman and extra features (but no alt soundtrack). The only reason I bring that up is b/c they worked in another program. But, I'm loyal to HB.

Later I'll convert WFS to get the activity code now that I know how to do it right.
Deleted User 11865

Do you get the same issue if you try to encode MacDVDRipperPro's output with HandBrake?
alohala

Post by alohala »

I did not try that. HB scanned the MDRP and only read the film (incl all alt soundtracks). After the conversion is complete I'll post the results.
alohala

Post by alohala »

HB converted MDRP content perfectly. It's a 2-step process but it works. I lent my copy of Waiting for Superman and can't get the activity log now.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Did you re-install VLC when you updated Handbrake? If so, have you run VLC at least once to clear it with OS X's security subsystem so Handbrake is able to access VLC's bundled decryption library?
franzenjb

Post by franzenjb »

That solved it for me. Reload VLC. Thanks.