VIDEO_TS not visible

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
klash

VIDEO_TS not visible

Post by klash »

Hey there folks,

I'm ripping my DVD collection with Handbrake v 0.9.5 in order to transfer them onto my mediaplayer. This works perfectly, but now I have come across a DVD which does not show the VIDEO_TS nor the AUDIO_TS folder in Finder. And this will probably won't be the last as I still have several hundreds to go. So no way to rip this one with Handbrake. This is a genuine original DVD bought in a store where I've bought many others - no download, fake or copy - it plays perfectly on my DVD player. Is this DVD somehow protected and is there any way around this? Anyone with similar experience out there? PS - I'm on an iMac OS X 10.6.6.
rogue23
Enlightened

Re: VIDEO_TS not visible

Post by rogue23 »

Does the DVD have multiple tracks on it? The only time I've seen something similar is when there is a track that contains other files/executables that results in that track becoming visible in Finder, and the video track has to be manually mounted. But I've only seen that once or twice out of well over 1,000 DVDs in my library.
klash

Re: VIDEO_TS not visible

Post by klash »

This particular DVD which is giving me a headache has other files/executables on it, yes. But that's no different than on many other of my DVD's - these will show all content including the VIDEO_TS folder.

On my Mac there's no way of seeing the disk's content, it's like the disk is empty :

Homes-iMac:Volumes Home$ ls
Macintosh HD Untitled
THERES_SOMETHING_ABOUT_MARY
Homes-iMac:Volumes Home$ cd THERES_SOMETHING_ABOUT_MARY
Homes-iMac:THERES_SOMETHING_ABOUT_MARY Home$ ls
Homes-iMac:THERES_SOMETHING_ABOUT_MARY Home$

As opposed to for instance another DVD :

Homes-iMac:Volumes Home$ ls
Macintosh HD SHALLOW_GRAVE Untitled
Homes-iMac:Volumes Home$ cd SHALLOW_GRAVE
Homes-iMac:SHALLOW_GRAVE Home$ ls
AUDIO_TS VIDEO_TS
Homes-iMac:SHALLOW_GRAVE Home$

I popped the troublesome DVD in a Windows XP laptop and there I could see all contents, including the VIDEO_TS folder. So, happy me tried copying the VIDEO_TS folder, but no chance ("file system error")....

Did you manage to work around this with those DVD's you had this same problem with?