Handbrake generates black screen and stops working later

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
astraub

Handbrake generates black screen and stops working later

Post by astraub »

Hi,

I use a mid 2010 27" iMac (i7/quad), OS 10.6.6 and the latest 64Bit version of handbrake. When giving a queue of multiple videos to handbrake I get a black screen (sometimes a few visible items are left) after several minutes of coding. The processing continues and usually breaks later as well. I have not found a way yet to restore the screen or keyboard control.

I ran the Apple hardware tests without any problems (memory or alike).

Is this a known issue? Has anyone found the source of the problem yet?

Best Regards
Andreas
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Handbrake generates black screen and stops working later

Post by s55 »

No. It's an indication that you have a hardware problem.
astraub

Post by astraub »

Hi,

no - it is some sw incompatibility. But it is probably not handbrake's fault.

I did some further testing (Apple HW test, memtest etc.) and found that nothing seems wrong with the hw. So I decided to build a brand new system installation on an external disk and work from there. In this case everything worked fine. So now I will try to find what other process is conflicting with handbrake. I am afraid this will be some work.

In the meantime I found several occasions where other users saw a similar issue. I am very much interested to find out what conflicts here. I will probably start with the process list of the working system and then try to disable one process by the other in the non-working system until this runs (hopefully) again. I will keep you posted.

Greetings
Andreas
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

Go here:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23935/cputest

Download and run it for 30 minutes. See if the same thing happens.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I might be mis-understanding what your seeing. When you see a black seen, do you mean the entire screen? (ruling out doggy screensaver / monitor dimming etc)

It's probably worth doing a burn-in test. Hardware tests are usually pretty rubbish at picking up actual hardware problems.

Apps like HandBrake can really fully utilize hardware, and it's really only then that you start seeing weird issues like this. Macs in particular can do some really weird stuff when they start to get a tad too hot.
A fresh install can sometimes be deceiving. Wouldn't be the first time we've seen someone think that it solved a problem only for it to re-appear.

Just bare that in mind. It could be software, but it's extremely rare to see these kind of issues and not have an underlying hardware problem.

HandBrake is a self contained so isn't really doing much that should interfere with other software or vice versa. If you do find something that is, do report back.
astraub

Post by astraub »

Hi,

tried the CPU load test - runs like a charm even for several hours without problem.

Next: testing sw combinations.